Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
April 26 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. World Intellectual Property Day is observed on which date?
A) April 22
B) April 23
C) April 24
D) April 25
E) April 26
Answer: E) April 26
- World Intellectual Property Day is celebrated annually on 26 April. Events organized to mark the Day seek to inform about the role of intellectual property rights in encouraging innovation and creativity.
- The theme of this year’s celebration is “Intellectual property and small businesses: Taking big ideas to market.”
International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day:
- International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day is a remembrance day, observed annually on April 26.
- It was established by the United Nations General Assembly on December 8, 2016, in memory of Chernobyl disaster.
- In its resolution, the General Assembly recognized that three decades after the disaster there remains persistent serious long-term consequences and that the affected communities and territories are experiencing continuing related needs.
- The General Assembly invites all Member States, relevant agencies of the United Nations system and other international organizations, as well as civil society, to observe the day
2. Rafael Nadal beat Stefanos Tsitsipas in the final of which edition of the Banco Sabadell Barcelona Open?
Answer: E) 68th
- Rafael Nadal beat Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-4, 6-7, 7-5 in the final of the 68th edition of the Banco Sabadell Barcelona Open, which is better known as the Conde de Godo Trophy, to claim the title for the 12th time in his career.
- The title is the 87th of his career and the first since he won the French Open
(Roland Garros) last year.
Barty beats Sabalenka 3-6, 6-0, 6-3 in Stuttgart final:
- Top-ranked Ash Barty beat Aryna Sabalenka 3-6, 6-0, 6-3 to win the Porsche Grand Prix, her first title on clay since the 2019 French Open
Indian women’s recurve team bags Gold medal at Archery World Cup:
- In the Archery World Cup, Indian women’s recurve team including Deepika Kumari, Ankita Bhakat and Komalika Bari won a gold medal in Guatemala.
- Indian trio shot 27 to edge out their Mexican rivals by one point and claim their first World Cup team gold after seven years.
- This is Deepika’s fifth World Cup stage event team gold medal. In another match, the Indian mixed recurve team of Atanu Das and Ankita Bhakat won the bronze medal after a 6-2 victory over USA.
Rafael Nadal -Beat Stefanos Tsitsipas in the final of the 68th edition of the Banco Sabadell Barcelona Open.
3. Jagdish Khattar passed away. He was served as MD of which company?
A) Microsoft India
B) Amazon India
C) Maruti Suzuki India
D) Honda India
E) Ronald India
Answer: C) Maruti Suzuki India
- Former managing director of Maruti Suzuki India, Jagdish Khattar, passed away following a cardiac arrest.
- Khattar (79), a former bureaucrat, was considered as one of the most high profile leaders of the Indian automotive industry, laying the foundation for Maruti’s future growth after the government began its disinvestment in 2002 and gradually exited from its joint venture with Suzuki Motor Corporation (SMC).
- He had joined the then Maruti Udyog Ltd in July 1993 as director (marketing) and went on to become executive director (marketing) in the next six years.
- He was promoted as joint managing director in 1999, a year that saw various disagreements between SMC and the government.
Waman Bhonsle, national award-winning film editor who worked on over 230 movies, passes away at 87:
- National-award winning editor Waman Bhonsle passed away at his residence here due to age-related issues.
- Bhonsle, who won the best editing award at the 25th National Film award for “Inkaar”.
- He was the man at the editing table for more 230 films including “Mera Gaon Mera Desh”, “Do Raaste”, “Inkaar”, “Dostana”, “Agneepath”, “Parichay”, “Hero”, “Kalicharan”, “Karz”, “Ram Lakhan”, “Saudagar”, “Ghulam”, among others.
Australian swimming great John Konrads dies at age 78:
- John Konrads, who set 26 individual freestyle swimming world records and won an Olympic gold medal in 1960, has died, the Sport Australia Hall of Fame announced.
- At the age of 14, Konrads was a reserve for Australia’s Olympic swim team at the 1956 Melbourne Games.
- Four years later Konrads won the 1,500-meter freestyle gold and two bronze medals at the 1960 Olympics in Rome. He was inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame in 1985.
Ex-chief of SSB Arun Chaudhary dies of Covid:
- Former Sahasthra Seema Bal chief Arun Chaudhary died of Covid.
- He was 66.
- A 1977-batch IPS officer of the Bihar cadre, Chaudhary served for nearly two decades in the Intelligence Bureau (IB) where he headed the Jammu and Kashmir desk. Given his long stint in the region during the peak of Valley militancy he was once also tipped to become the chief of the Intelligence Bureau.
- In his early service days, he served in various positions in his cadre state and also had a stint with the Central Industrial Security Force, where he headed its airport security unit.
- In December 2012, he was appointed director general of the SSB and retired from service on April 30, 2014.
Jagdish Khattar – Former Maruti Suzuki MD.
4. Pandit Rajan Mishra passed away. He won which award?
A) Vir Chakra
B) Bharat Ratna
C) Padma Vibhushan
D) Padma Bhushan
E) Padma Shri
Answer: D) Padma Bhushan
- Padma Bhushan Pandit Rajan Mishra of Pandit Rajan Sajan musical group passed away due to cardiac arrest after being diagnosed with Covid-19.
- Rajan Mishra was a famous classical singer from ‘Banaras Gharana’ of India. He was awarded the Padma Bhushan in the field of art in 2007.
Christa Ludwig, one of the greatest opera singers of the 20th century, passes away at 93:
- Christa Ludwig, widely regarded as one of the greatest opera singers of the 20th century, has died at age 93
- The mezzo-soprano, whose repertoire ranged from Beethoven, Mozart and Mahler to Strauss, Verdi and Wagner in a career spanning nearly 50 years
- She was awarded France’s Legion d’Honneur in 2010
Veteran Indian Nuclear Scientist Krishnamurthy Santhanam Passes away:
- Indian nuclear scientist Krishnamurthy Santhanam, who played noteworthy role in 1998 nuclear tests at Pokhran, has passed away.
- Santhanam was the field director of Defence Research and Development Organization during the tests of Pokhran-II.
- He was awarded with the Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian award, in 1999 by the Government of India.
Pandit Rajan Mishra – Famous classical singer from ‘Banaras Gharana’.
5.According to Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, what is the rank of India in the military spender in 2020?
Answer: C) 3
- India was the third largest military spender in the world in 2020, behind only the US and China.
- According to the latest military expenditure database published on Monday by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, which tracks military expenditure and arms trade globally, the US accounted for 39 per cent of the money spent on military globally, China accounted for 13 per cent, and India accounted for 3.7 per cent of the globe’s share.
- The US spent a total of $778 billion in 2020, China spent $252 billion and India’s military expenditure was $72.9 billion.
- All three countries saw their military spending go up compared to 2019, even during a pandemic year.
- While India’s spending since 2019 grew by 2.1 per cent, the increase for China was more moderate, at 1.9 per cent. The US saw a 4.4 per cent growth over its 2019 expenditure.
- The United States’ military spending was 3.7 per cent of its GDP while the corresponding numbers for China and India were 1.7 per cent and 2.9 per cent respectively.
- From 2011 to 2020, American military expenditure dropped by 10 per cent, but China saw a 76 per cent growth while India’s military spending grew by 34 per cent
India has world’s fourth strongest military: Military Direct’s study
- China has the strongest military force in the world while India stands at number four, according to a study released on Sunday by defence website Military Direct.
- “The USA, despite their enormous military budgets, comes in 2nd place with 74 points, followed by Russia with 69, India at 61 and then France with 58.
- The UK just about makes the Top 10, coming in 9th place with a score of 43,” said the study.
- The study said “ultimate military strength index” was calculated after taking into consideration various factors including budgets, number of inactive and active military personnel, total air, sea, land and nuclear resources, average salaries, and weight of equipment.
- China has the strongest military in the world, scoring 82 out of 100 points in the index, it noted.
- The world’s biggest military spender with a budget of USD 732 billion per year is the USA, it noted, adding that China comes second with USD 261 billion, followed by India at USD 71 billion.
- China wins in a sea war with 406 ships vs Russia with 278 and the USA or India with 202, it said
BANKING AND FINANCE
6. Which payment app launches ‘Wealth Community’ for young investors?
D) Amazon Pay
E) Google Pay
Answer: B) Patym
- Home-grown digital financial services platform Paytm has launched a new video-based wealth community called the Paytm Wealth Community.
- Paytm Wealth Community is an investing community based on video, and will enable users to attend live sessions conducted by subject matter experts across an array of wealth topics like Stocks, F&O, IPO, ETFs, Mutual Funds, Gold, Fixed Income, and Personal Finance
- The Paytm Wealth community is owned and operated by OCL Ltd (Paytm) and is initially being offered in beta mode on the Paytm Money platform.
- It will be offered in beta for select users for the next two months, followed by open access for all.
Paytm Payment Bank:
CEO: Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Founded: 2009, Noida
Paytm – ‘Wealth Community’ for young investors.
7. According to RBI, the post of Managing Director (MD) and Chief Economic Officer (CEO) MD or Whole Time Director (WTD) cannot be held by the same incumbent for more than how many years?
Answer: A) 15
- The Reserve Bank of India issued certain instructions on the governance for banks, including private banks, Small Finance Banks (SFBs), Wholly Owned Subsidiaries of Foreign Banks.
- However, it added that this circular is not applicable to foreign banks operating as branches in India.
- As per the instructions from the central bank, the post of Managing Director (MD) and Chief Economic Officer (CEO) MD or Whole Time Director (WTD) cannot be held by the same incumbent for more than 15 years.
- During this three-year cooling period, the individual shall not be appointed or associated with the bank or its group entities in any capacity, either directly or indirectly, it added.
- Moreover, the upper age limit for MD & CEO and WTDs in private banks would continue to be 70 years.
- Within the overall limit of 70 years, as part of their internal policy, individual bank’s Boards are free to prescribe a lower retirement age for the WTDs, including the MD&CEO.
- MD&CEO or WTD who is also a promoter/ major shareholder, cannot hold these posts for more than 12 years.
- The central bank also stated that it may allow promoter WTD/MD & CEO to continue up to15 years in “extraordinary circumstances.”
- While examining the matter of re-appointment of such MD&CEOs or WTDs within the 12/15 years period, the level of progress and adherence to the milestones for dilution of promoters’ shareholding in the bank shall also be factored in by the Reserve Bank, it said.
Reserve Bank of India:
Act: Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Governor– Shaktikanta Das
Deputy Governors– 4 (one post vacant, Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra, M. Rajeshwar Rao)
RBI – Issue guidelines for tenure of bank CEOs, MDs.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
8. Google pledges how much amount for medical supplies and Covid support in India?
A) Rs 125 crore
B) Rs 135 crore
C) Rs 145 crore
D) Rs 155 crore
E) Rs 165 crore
Answer: B) Rs 135 crore
- Pat Cummins donates USD 50,000 to PM CARES Fund to purchase oxygen supplies
Kolkata Knight Riders’ Australian pacer Pat Cummins on Monday announced a USD 50,000 donation towards PM CARES Fund for oxygen supplies in India’s Covid-19 ravaged hospitals and backed the IPL to continue, saying he has been “advised” that the Indian government views it “as few hours of joy” in a difficult time.
CEO: Sundar Pichai
Founded: 4 September 1998
Google – Rs 135 crore for medical supplies and Covid support in India.
9. Which country telecom company NTT and India’s TCIL have come together to cooperate in the areas of fifth-generation (5G) technology, Cybersecurity, Artificial Intelligence, and submarine cable systems?
Answer: C) Japan
- Japanese telecom company NTT and India’s Telecommunications Consultants of India Limited (TCIL) have come together to cooperate in the areas of fifth-generation (5G) technology, Cybersecurity, Artificial Intelligence, and submarine cable systems.
- The two-year-long extendable deal with NTT Advanced Technologies would enable both companies to co-provide services in the telecom, networking, information, and related applications to their customers
- Early this year, India’s fourth-largest telco in its ambition to foray into commercial 4G services has invited bids for as many as 57,000 sites that can be further upgraded to next generation technology.
- In 2018, BSNL had formed a similar alliance with the Japanese telecom major to work together in the areas such as artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, and jointly create a 5G test bed.
- In April 2019, NTT-AT and Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad (IITH) inked a pact to accelerate the development of advanced technologies in an effort to accelerate industry-academia collaboration.
Japanese NTT + TCIL – 5G, AI, submarine cable technologies.
10. Which movie is won best picture in “The 93rd Academy Awards”?
A) The Father
B) Judas and the Black Messiah
Answer: E) Nomadland
- The 93rd Academy Award, also known as the Oscars, was held from two locations in
Los Angeles – Union Station and Dolby Theatre.
- Anthony Hopkins and Frances McDormand were honoured with the Best Actor and Actress award respectively while filmmaker Chloe Zhao’s “Nomadland” was named the Best Film.
- Zhao won Best Director for the film.
|Best Actress||Frances McDormand|
|Best Actor||Anthony Hopkins|
|Best Supporting Actress||Yuh-Jung Youn|
|Best Supporting Actor||Daniel Kaluuya|
|Best Director||Chloe Zhao|
|Best Original Screenplay||Promising Young Woman|
|Best Adapted Screenplay||The Father|
|Best Animated Feature||Soul|
|Best Documentary Feature||My Octopus Teacher|
|Best International Feature||Another Round|
|Best Original Song||“Fight for You” from Judas and the Black Messiah|
|Best Original Score||Soul|
|Best Visual Effects||Tenet|
|Best Film Editing||Sound of Metal|
|Best Costume Design||Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom|
|Best Sound||Sound of Metal|
|Best Production Design||Mank|
|Best Make-Up And Hairstyling||Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom|
|Best Live Action Short||Two Distant Strangers|
|Best Animated Short||If Anything Happens I Love You|
|Best Documentary Short||Colette|
|Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award||Tyler Perry|
Nomadland – Best picture inThe 93rd Academy Awards.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
11. Which IIT and the North East Frontier Railway (NFR) have signed a MoU to collaborate on research projects aiming at improving maintenance and operations of train running in the region and other fields?
A) IIT Mandi
B) IIT Madras
C) IIT Kharagpur
D) IIT Kanpur
E) IIT Guwahati
Answer: E) IIT Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, (IITG) and the North East Frontier Railway (NFR) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to collaborate on research projects aiming at improving maintenance and operations of train running in the region and other fields.
- The institute will also support the NFR to make its stations plastic-free by providing alternate biodegradable polymer-based technologies
IIT Guwahati + NFR – To improve maintenance, operations of train running in NE region.
12. Which organisation develops single crystal blades technology, supplies 60 of these blades to HAL for helicopter engine?
A) L & T
Answer: E) DRDO
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed single crystal blades technology and supplied 60 of these blades to Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) as part of their indigenous helicopter development program for helicopter engine application.
- Under this program DRDO will develop 300 blades of single crystal high pressure turbine blades.
- Helicopters used in strategic and defence applications need compact and powerful aero-engines for their reliable operation at extreme conditions.
Abbreviation: Defence Research and Development Organisation
Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
Chairman: G. Satheesh Reddy
DRDO – Single crystal blades technology, supplies 60 of these blades to HAL for helicopter engine.
13. Centre approves setting up of how many oxygen plants in Northeastern region?
- The Centre has decided to set up 13 oxygen generation plants in
five North-eastern states to boost availability of the life-saving gas amid its shortage in several states of the country when COVID-19 cases are surging.
- Meghalaya, Nagaland and Mizoram will get three oxygen plants each while Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur will get two units each.
- These 13 are among the 551 dedicated Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) medical oxygen generation plants to be set up inside public health facilities across the country.
Centre – Approve setting up of 13 oxygen plants in Northeastern region.