Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
April 16 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. World Voice Day is observed on which date?
A) April 13
B) April 14
C) April 16
D) April 17
E) April 11
Answer: C) April 16
- The World Voice Day is celebrated every year on April 16 around the world.
- Established as a special day, World Voice Day is observed to create awareness, recognise, and celebrate the most important and at the same time often ignored gift of god – the ‘Human Voice’.
- Many abuses their voice by indulging in smoking, shouting, drinking, or poor speaking techniques.
- Moreover, people often ignore significant preventive treatment even if they encounter any voice-related problem.
- So, to address this significant issue, this campaign was initiated.
- The theme for this year’s World Voice Day is “One World, Many Voices”.
- The World Voice Day that is celebrated worldwide, was first initiated by a group of Brazilian voice care professionals in the year 1999.
- Brazilian Society of Laryngology and Voice under the chairmanship of Dr. Nedio Stephen was the first to observe April 16 as the day to celebrate voice.
- Later, it was established as the Brazilian Voice Day.
- It was also celebrated in the countries like Argentina and Portugal.
- Subsequently, when the American Academy of Otolaryngologists-Head and Neck Surgery started celebrating it in the year 2002, it was officially recognised as World Voice Day.
2. Sarita Mor is related to which sports?
D) Table Tennis
Answer: A) Wrestling
- In Wrestling, Sarita Mor stamped her authority in the Asian Wrestling Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan by defending the women’s 59 kg title.
- Indian women also won two bronze medals through Seema and Pooja besides Sarita’s gold.
- India picked up their second medal, a bronze in the women’s 50 kg category, when Seema scored a thumping 10-0 win over Yung Hsun Lin of Taipei.
- Pooja won the third medal, a bronze in the women’s 76 kg category.
- She defeated Seoyeon Jeong of Korea 5-2. Nisha too had a good start in the women’s 68 kg by scoring 8-0 win over Mongolia’s Delgermaa Enkhsaikhan but lost to Korea’s Eun Sun Jeong 2-6 in the second round.
Christian Coleman, 100m world champion, to miss Olympics despite reduced ban:
- American sprinter Christian Coleman will miss the Tokyo Olympics after failing in an appeal to overturn his ban for missed doping tests.
- The Court of Arbitration for Sport cut the 100-meter world champion’s ban from two years to 18 months, but it won’t expire until November, three months after the Olympics.
India – Win one Gold, two Bronze medals in Asian Wrestling Championship.
3. Ranjit Sinha passed away. He was director of which organisation?
Answer: E) CBI
- Former CBI director Ranjit Sinha died due to COVID-19 related death.
- Sinha, a 1974-batch officer of the Bihar cadre and who had cracked the coveted UPSC examination at the age of 21, had taken over as the CBI chief in 2012.
- He had previously headed the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) force, the Railway Protection Force (RPF) and served at senior positions in the CBI in Patna and Delhi during his four-decade-long career in police service.
Kakarla Subba Rao passed away:
- Noted medical professional and NIMS former director Kakarla Subbarao passed away.
- Dr. Subbarao, who was conferred Padmasri in 2000 for rendering yeomen services in the medical field.
Ex-Minister A Chandulal passes away:
- Former Minister A Chandulal passed away while undergoing treatment at a Corporate hospital.
- Chandulal was the Tribal Welfare Minister in N T Rama Rao’s Cabinet.
- Later, he left the TDP to join the TRS.
- He served as the Tribal Minister in K Chandrasekhar Rao’s Cabinet in 2014.
- The former Minister was elected as MLA thrice from Mulugu Assembly constituency and was an MP from the Warangal Lok Sabha Constituency twice.
Ranjit Sinha – Former CBI director.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
4. Which company has launched a low-cost software suite for small and medium-sized businesses in India to help them digitise their operations and bring their business online?
E) Amazon Web Services
Answer: E) Amazon Web Services
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) has launched a low-cost software suite for small and medium-sized businesses in India to help them digitize their operations and bring their business online.
- Amazon Digital Suite, as the platform is called, will provide a selection of business software from seven domestic AWS partners across areas such as accounting, customer support, and human resources.
AWS – Amazon Digital Suite for small business in India.
5. Richard Verma has been appointed as General Counsel and Head of Global Public Policy of Mastercard. He was Former US Ambassador to which country?
Answer: E) India
- Former US Ambassador to India Richard Verma has been appointed as General Counsel and Head of Global Public Policy of Mastercard, according to an announcement by the American multinational financial services corporation.
- The announcement from Mastercard came as it appointed Tim Murphy, the company’s general counsel, to the newly created position of chief administrative officer.
Verma, 52, served as US Ambassador to India from 2014 to 2017.
CEO: Michael Miebach
Headquarters: Purchase, Harrison, New York, United States
Founded: 16 December 1966, United States
Richard Verma – Mastercard’s Head of Global Public Policy.
6. Who assumed charge as Secretary Economic Affairs?
A) Ashok Seth
B) Akash Seth
C) Ajay Seth
D) Karthik Seth
E) Sudhan Seth
Answer: C) Ajay Seth
- Ajay Seth, a 1987 batch IAS officer of Karnataka cadre, assumed charge as Secretary Economic Affairs at a time when the economy which was showing signs of recovery is being threatened by the second wave of COVID-19.
- Seth replaces Tarun Bajaj, who moved as Revenue Secretary in the Ministry of Finance.
- In his previous stint at the Finance Ministry, Seth served as Deputy Secretary and Director in the Department of Expenditure and Department of Economic Affairs between 2000 and 2004.
- He served as Adviser to executive director Asian Development Bank during 2004-2008.
- He has served as served as Secretary Budget and Resources in the state and also as commissioner Commercial Taxes Department.
Ajay Seth – New economic affairs secy – replaces Tarun Bajaj.
7. Kim Boo-kyum will be the new Prime Minister of which country?
A) South Korea
B) North Korea
C) South Africa
Answer: A) South Korea
- South Korean President Moon Jae-in nominated interior minister Kim Boo-kyum as the new Prime Minister of the country.
Currency: South Korean won
Kim Boo-kyum – New South Korean Prime Minister.
8. Rashmika Mandanna is related to which field?
Answer: E) Actress
- McDonald‘s India (West and South) said has appointed film actor Rashmika Mandanna as its brand ambassador.
- McDonald‘s restaurants in West and South India are operated by Westlife Development Ltd. through its wholly owned subsidiary.
Rashmika Mandanna – Brand ambassador of McDonald‘s India (West and South).
9. Roberto Benigni has been honoured with the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement of which edition of Venice International Film Festival?
Answer: D) 78
- Oscar-winning Italian director-actor Roberto Benigni of ‘Life is Beautiful’ fame has been honoured with the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement of the 78th Venice International Film Festival.
- The 1997 film fetched him the best actor and best international film Oscars.
Roberto Benigni – Venice Film Festival’s Lifetime Achievement award.
10. Govt approves around Rs 110 crore the ROPAX jetty project on Dhamra river in which state?
C) Andhra Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: E) Odisha
- The Union Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways (MoPSW) accorded administrative approval for sanction of Rs 50.30 crore for developing RO-PAX (Roll-on/Roll-off Passenger) jetty project and allied infrastructure connecting Kaninali in Bhadrak district and Talachua in Kendrapara district of Odisha on Dhamra river under the Sagarmala initiative.
- According to a release by the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways, the Odishagovernment will fund another 50 per cent cost of the project.
- The total capital cost of the project is Rs 110.60 crore which includes the construction of RO-PAX jetty at Kaninali and Talachua, utility infrastructures such as parking area development, navigational aids and dredging.
- After completion, the project will reduce travel time for passengers from 6 hours by road to 1 hour by waterway.
Chief Minister – Naveen Patnaik
Governor – Ganeshi Lal
Govt – Rs 110 crore ROPAX jetty project on Dhamra river in Odisha.
11. Which Minister notifies draft rules under Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions Code?
A) Commerce & Industry Minister
B) External Affairs Minister
C) Home Minister
D) Finance Minister
E) Labour Minister
Answer: E) Labour Minister
- The labour ministry has notified draft rules pertaining to setting up of a technical committee under the Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions Code (OSH&WC Code), 2020.
- The committee is expected to help the government or the national board to be set up under the Code in discharging safety and other related measures across industrial establishments.
- The ministry has invited suggestions on the draft rules in the next 45 days following which the above Rules will be finalised.
- This would enable the government to put in place the required technical committee for smooth implementation of the OSH&WC Code.
- The technical committees shall be multi-membered and consist of members from government, public, autonomous or private institutions/industries and the chairman of the technical committee shall be the ex-officio member or nominated by the central government, it said in the draft Rules.
- As per the Rules, the technical committees shall frame, formulate and review standards, rules and regulations on Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions under the Code, 2020.
- The labour ministry has consolidated 29 labour laws into four Codes.
- These are the Wage Code, the Social Security Code and the Industrial Relations Code along with the OSH&WC Code.
- The Codes have been passed by the Parliament and the government has finalised the Rules under the four Codes.
- However, labour being in the concurrent list, the Centre is waiting for some states to be ready with Rules in their domain across four codes as this would ensure smooth implementation of the Codes and would help avoid any legal void.
- The OSH &WC Code, 2020 had provided that the central government shall constitute one or more technical committees for the purpose of assisting the central government or national board in discharge of its function specified in subsection (1) of section 16 of the Code.
Minister of State Independent Charge of Labour and Employment:
Minister: Santosh Kumar Gangwar
Constituency: Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
Labour ministry – Notify draft rules under Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions Code.
12. Which Minister launches World 1st affordable and long-lasting hygiene product DuroKea Series?
A) Commerce & Industry Minister
B) Education Minister
C) Home Minister
D) Finance Minister
E) Labour Minister
Answer: B) Education Minister
- Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank launched World 1st affordable and long-lasting hygiene product DuroKea Series.
- This next generation DuroKea antimicrobial technology starts at 189 rupees, kills 99.99 per cent of germs instantly and leaves behind the long-lasting protective nanoscale coating up to 35 days till next wash.
- Researcher from Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad has developed this innovative technology to combat COVID-19 virus spreading.
Minister: Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank
Constituency: Hardwar, Uttarakhand
Education Minister – World 1st affordable and long-lasting hygiene product DuroKea Series.
13. Which state/UT launched the Babasaheb Ambedkar Digital Kala Festival?
B) Madhya Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: E) Delhi
- The Delhi government launched the Babasaheb Ambedkar Digital Kala Festival to mark the 130th birth anniversary of the social reformer and revolutionary.
Capital: New Delhi
CM: Arvind Kejriwal
Governor: Anil Baijal
Delhi govt – Babasaheb Ambedkar Digital Kala Festival.
14. Which state launched ‘Veerangana on wheel’ service that will let women get prompt help and lodge complaints at their doorstep?
B) Madhya Pradesh
C) Himachal Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
E) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: C) Himachal Pradesh
- In a bid to check crime against women, the Himachal Pradesh government launched ‘Veerangana on wheel’ service that will let women get prompt help and lodge complaints at their doorstep.
CM: Jai Ram Thakur
Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
Himachal Pradesh – ‘Veerangana on wheel’ scheme to check crime against women.