Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 30 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. International Day of UN Peacekeepers is observed on which date?
A) May 23
B) May 24
C) May 25
D) May 27
E) May 29
Answer: E) May 29
- The United Nations has designated 29 May as the International Day of UN Peacekeepers.
- The day aims to celebrate the contributions of civilian and uniformed personnel who perform the task of peacekeeping for the organisation.
International Day of UN Peacekeepers History:
- In 1948, the UN sent its first peacekeeping mission called the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) which started functioning in Palestine.
UNTSO started its operation in Palestine on 29 May.
- Therefore, this day was selected as the International Day of UN Peacekeepers.
The decision was taken at the UN General Assembly on 24 February, 2003 in its resolution 57/129.
- The theme of the International Day of UN Peacekeepers 2021 is “The road to a lasting peace: Leveraging the power of youth for peace and security”.
World Digestive Health Day 2021:
- Every year on May 29, World Digestive Health Day 2021 (WDHD) is celebrated to create awareness among people regarding digestive disease or disorder they can face.
- This day was initiated by the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO), to raise awareness regarding the treatment, prevention, prevalence and diagnosis of this disease or disorder.
- This year’s theme is “Obesity: An Ongoing Pandemic”.
- WGO has partnered with the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorder, to raise awareness of Obesity through this campaign.
World Digestive Health Day 2021 History:
- World Digestive Health Day was first observed on May 29, 2005.
- Since then, WGO is annually celebrating the day by initiating a worldwide, yearlong, public health campaign through its 117 WGO Member Societies and 4 regional association of endoscopy, gastroenterology and hepatology.
2. Barbora Krejcikova won her maiden WTA title at the Strasbourg International victory over Sorana Cirstea. Barbora Krejcikova is related to which country?
B) Czech Republic
Answer: B) Czech Republic
- Barbora Krejcikova (Czech Republic) won her maiden WTA title at the Strasbourg International victory over Sorana Cirstea( Bucharest, Romania).
- Novak Djokovic won the Belgrade Open with a over Slovakian Alex Molcan.
Barbora Krejcikova – Maiden WTA title at the Strasbourg International victory over Sorana Cirstea.
3. Ms Mythili Sivaraman passed away. She was related to which field?
Answer: E) Politician
- Ms Mythili Sivaraman, veteran CPI(M) leader, Popular women’s rights activist and former Vice-president of the All India Democratic Women’s Association (AIDWA) died after testing positive for COVID.
Mythili Sivaraman – Veteran Marxist leader & AIDWA former VP.
4. B.J. Thomas passes away. He won which award?
A) MTV Music Awards
B) American Music Awards
C) Nobel Prize
D) Seoul Music Awards
E) Grammy Award
Answer: E) Grammy Award
- Grammy-winning singer B.J. Thomas, the famous crooner behind hits like ‘Hooked on a Feeling’, has passed away at the age of 78 after battling with stage 4 lung cancer with which he had been diagnosed in March.
- The pop star is best known for singing the classic ‘Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head’ which was featured in ‘Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid’, winning an Oscar for Best Original Song.
- It was also nominated for a Grammy award in 1970 in the category of Best Male Pop Vocal Performance.
- ‘Raindrops Keep Fallin’ also made him win The Grammy Hall of Fame Award in 2014.
- The 5 times Grammy-winner sold over 70 million albums worldwide, with eight number one hits and numerous top ten singles on the country, pop and Christian charts.
B.J. Thomas – Grammy-winning singer.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
5. Which country successfully launches cargo spacecraft to dock with space station module?
Answer: E) China
- China successfully launched an automated cargo spacecraft carrying supplies, equipment and propellant for the country’s new space station Tianhe.
- The Long March-7 Y3 rocket, carrying Tianzhou-2, blasted off from the Wenchang Spacecraft Launch Site on the coast of the southern island province of Hainan.
- Spacecraft Tianzhou-2 is scheduled to dock with core the module of the space station Tianhe to deliver supplies, equipment and propellant.
- It was launched after over a week’s delay due to ”technical reasons”.
- Tianzhou-2 was launched for the first space station supply mission despite the initial delay.
- The Tianhe module will act as the management and control hub of the space station Tiangong, meaning ‘Heavenly Palace’, with a node that could dock with up to three spacecraft at a time for short stays.
- China successfully launched the core module of its space station on April 29 as part of its aim to complete the construction of the facility by the end of next year.
- It was launched using China’s biggest rocket the Long March-5B Y2 which after placing the core module caused global stir as it fell back to Earth. Its remnants safely crashed into the Indian Ocean near the Maldives on May 9 with no reports of damage.
- The hurtling debris of the rocket evoked sharp criticism from the US, NASA and international astrophysicists, saying Beijing won a reckless gamble in the uncontrolled fall of the rocket which stoked fears that it may fall into inhabited areas.
- A major space power, China launched its first Mars mission ‘Tianwen-1’ on July 23 this year.
- The Mars spacecraft which included an orbiter, lander and rover is currently exploring the Red planet.
- The Chinese space station was expected to be a competitor to the aging International Space Station (ISS) which is a modular space station in low Earth orbit.
- It is a multinational collaborative project involving five participating space agencies which included NASA (US), Roscomos (Russia), JAXA (Japan), ESA (Europe) and CSA (Canada).
- China’s Tiangong is expected to be the sole space station once the ISS retires.
China – Successfully launch cargo spacecraft to dock with space station module.
6. Zhang Hong is the First blind Chinese mountaineer climbs which mountain?
B) Mount Everest
E) Mount Kilimanjaro
Answer: B) Mount Everest
- The 46-year old Chinese Zhang Hong has scaled the tallest peak in the world from the Nepal side, becoming the first blind man in Asia and the third in the world to climb Mount Everest.
- Zhang completed the 8,849-meter-high Himalayan feat on May 24 along with three high altitude guides and returned to the base camp.
Chinese Zhang Hong – First blind Chinese mountaineer climbs Mount Everest.
7. Which state announced the ‘Chief Minister Bal Seva Scheme’ for children who have lost both parents or guardian due to Covid-19?
C) Uttar Pradesh
D) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: D) Arunachal Pradesh
- The Arunachal Pradesh government announced the ‘Chief Minister Bal Seva Scheme’ for children who have lost both parents or guardian due to Covid-19.
- This scheme will supplement the PM-CARES for children’ scheme which was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday to support children orphaned by Covid-19.
- Children who have lost both the parents/surviving parent/legal guardians/adoptive parent and became orphan due to Covid-19 shall be eligible for the scheme.
- Under the scheme, children in non-institutional care (with extended family/ guardians) will be supported with an amount of Rs 2,000 per child/ month under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015 and Child Protection Services (CPS) scheme guidelines.
- These children shall be made eligible in the scheme in case they opt to be with their extended family/ grandparents/ guardians.
- Further, State government will supplement the amount of Rs 2,000 with an additional amount of Rs 1,500 per child/ month.
- For children below 10 years having no extended family/guardian: Child Care
Institutions are supported by the Government of India for which Government of India provides Rs 2,160 as maintenance grant per child per month.
- In case of such orphaned children who do not have an extended family/ grandparents/ guardian, they shall be housed in one of the Child Care Institutions and will avail all benefit in the Institutions along with free education and healthcare.
- In case of adolescent girls, to take care of their educational needs, preference will be given for their education in institutions such as Sharada Mission, Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV) or any other girls’ residential schools to ensure their sensitive care and proper protection.
- A laptop / tab will be given to such children, who are going to school/ college or undergoing vocational course.
CM: Pema Khandu
Governor: B.D. Mishra
Arunachal Pradesh – ‘Chief Minister Bal Seva Scheme’ for children who have lost both parents or guardian due to Covid-19.
8. Which state launched solar-based electrification programme for rural households in the state?
C) Uttar Pradesh
D) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: B) Goa
- Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant launched solar-based electrification programme for rural households in the state.
- This project will bring electricity through renewable energy to areas in Goa where grid connectivity is not feasible.
- The solar PV-based home lighting systems for households was inaugurated only two days after the agreement was signed between Convergence Energy Services Ltd (CESL) and Goa Energy Development Agency (GEDA).
- This project is CESL’s first off-grid electricity engagement that will install and maintain solar PV systems for five years under the Remote Village Electrification (RVE) programme of the Government of Goa.
- CESL will undertake the project across villages and hamlets of Goa in coordination with Gram panchayats.
- A 100 per cent owned subsidiary of EESL – Convergence Energy Services Limited (Convergence), a new energy company is focused on delivering clean, affordable, and reliable energy.
- Convergence focuses on energy solutions that lie at the confluence of renewable energy, electric mobility, and climate change.
Goa govt offers ₹2 lakh compensation to sole breadwinners who died due to COVID – ‘Mukhyamantri Anath Aadhar Yojana’:
- With the rise in the number of COVID-related deaths, the Goa government on Sunday announced compensation of ₹2 lakh each for the kin of COVID-19 victims who were sole earning member or came from poor backgrounds.
- The government also announced to provide monthly financial aid to orphaned children.
Chief Minister Pramod Sawant, while speaking at the occasion of Statehood Day, said, ‘Mukhyamantri Anath Aadhar Yojana’, will be launched, under which orphaned children will get monthly financial aid.
- The age limit for inmates in childcare institutions has been raised to 21. Orphans, irrespective of whether their parents succumbed to the coronavirus infection, who are in Class X will be provided free laptops by the state government
CM: Pramod Sawant
Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Goa – Solar-based electrification programme for remote villages.
9. Which organisation announced the launch of an e-marketplace or portal for agri services, mainly to help small farmers?
A) CSC SPV
Answer: A) CSC SPV
- The CSC E-Governance India Ltd (CSC SPV) announced the launch of an e-marketplace or portal for agri services, mainly to help small farmers.
- The CSC SPV is a special purpose vehicle under the Ministry of Electronics & IT that provides a host of electronic services to consumers through its common service centers.
- Through the agri services portal, the farmers will be able to buy seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, cattle feed, and other agri-input products.
- The portal – www.cscagri.in – will enable small and marginal farmers, who do not have easy access to the digital world, to avail essential agri services with ease and at an affordable cost.
CSC SPV – Agri services e-market place.