Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 28 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. Menstrual Hygiene Day is observed on which date?
A) May 23
B) May 24
C) May 25
D) May 27
E) May 28
Answer: E) May 28
- Every year on May 28 Menstrual Hygiene Day is celebrated across the world.
- This special day is dedicated to inform and educate people about the importance of menstrual hygiene management (MHM).
- The reason behind celebrating the day on May 28 is said to be that the average interval of a menstrual cycle is 28 days and girls/women menstruate an average of five days each month, and May is the fifth month of the year, according to WASH United, a German non-profit organisation and founder of the Menstrual Hygiene Day.
- Theme: The theme for this year is “Action and Investment in Menstrual Hygiene and Health.”
- History: In May 2013, WASH United came up with the idea of dedicating a specific day for Menstrual Hygiene Management.
- A 28-day social media campaign was carried out by the organisation to know if other organisations were interested in this issue.
World Hunger Day:
- World Hunger Day is observed globally on 28 May every year
- History of the day: World Hunger Day is an initiative by The Hunger Project, first started in the year 2011.
- This year marks the 10th annual WHD to look at hunger as a whole.
International Day of Action for Women’s Health 2021:
- The International Day of Action for Women’s Health is an international observance celebrated on May 28 every year since 1987.
2. Poul Schlueter passed away. He was served as Prime Minister of which country?
Answer: A) Denmark
- Poul Schlueter, Denmark’s prime minister for over a decade who negotiated exemptions for his country to a key European Union treaty after Danes rejected the initial text in a referendum, has died.
- Schlueter, who was prime minister from 1982-1993, died.
Poul Schlueter – Longtime Danish Prime Minister.
3. What is the rank of India in FIFA men’s Rankings?
Answer: A) 105
BANKING AND FINANCE
4. Which bank announced a slew of measures to set up and enhance medical infrastructure across the country to assist the fight against the pandemic?
A) SBM Bank India
B) DBS Bank India
C) ICICI Bank
D) Bandhan Bank
E) HDFC Bank
Answer: E) HDFC Bank
- HDFC Bank, under Parivartan, announced a slew of measures to set up and enhance medical infrastructure across the country to assist the fight against the pandemic.
- The measures comprise setting up permanent medical infrastructure such as Oxygen plants, medical equipment, and ICU facilities, in addition to providing medical supplies to hospitals across India.
- The Bank has committed an initial amount of Rs 100 crore under Parivartan in FY 21-22 for Covid-19 relief initiatives.
- In FY 20-21, the Bank contributed Rs 120 crore towards Covid-19 relief, as part of Parivartan.
- To help improve the medical infrastructure across India, the Bank will Set up 20 Oxygen plants across various hospitals in India, Set up three, 100-bed Covid care facilities, Create two Isolation centres and Provide medical equipment and supplies to more than 200 hospitals across the country For setting up Oxygen plants and Covid care medical facilities, the Bank will work with the local administration to identify the hospitals across India.
- Further, the Bank also plans to offer scholarships under ECSS (Education Crisis Scholarship Scheme) to students affected by the pandemic and provide monthly rations to close to 1.5 lakh individuals across villages.
Hq: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Tagline: We Understand Your World
CEO: Sashidhar Jagdishan
HDFC Bank – Set Up Medical Infrastructure For Covid-19 Relief.
5. Which Bank announced three loan schemes as part of the fight against the pandemic?
A) Bandhan Bank
B) Indian Bank
D) Canara Bank
Answer: D) Canara Bank
- State-run Canara Bank announced three loan schemes as part of the fight against the pandemic under which it will offer healthcare credit, business and personal loan to individuals.
- The Canara Chikitsa healthcare credit facility will offer loans from over Rs 10 lakh to
Rs 50 crore to registered hospitals, nursing homes, medical practitioners, diagnostic centres, pathology labs and all other units engaged in the servicing healthcare infrastructure.
- The loan to be offered at a concessional rate of interest will have tenor of 10 years with moratorium up to 18 months, Canara Bank said in an advertisement.
- The Canara Jeevanrekha healthcare business loan will offer loan up to Rs 2 crore at a concessional interest rate for manufacture and supply of healthcare products such as medical oxygen and oxygen cylinders and oxygen concentrators to registered hospitals and nursing homes or other manufacturers and suppliers.
- Canara Bank said there will be no processing fee for this loan.
- For micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs), there will be no collateral security, which the lender will cover under Credit Guarantee Fund Trust for Micro and Small Enterprises (CGTMSE), and the bank will bear the guarantee premium.
- CGTMSE is meant to provide financial assistance to such kinds of industries without any third-party guarantee or collateral.
- For non-MSMEs, the collateral security will be minimum 25 per cent.
- Canara Chikitsa and Canara Jeevanrekha loan schemes will be valid till March 31, 2022.
- Under the third category of loan — Canara Suraksha personal loan scheme — the lender will offer loan from Rs 25,000 – Rs 5 lakh as immediate financial assistance to customers for COVID-19 treatment during admission or post discharge.
- The scheme will offer moratorium of six months. Coming at a nil processing fee, the scheme will be valid till September 30, 2021.
- Earlier this month, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced a Rs 50,000-crore special window to banks to lend to vaccine makers, hospitals and COVID-related health infrastructure.
- It also allowed individual and small borrowers more time to repay their debt, aimed at providing financial support when the economy is hit by the repercussions of the pandemic.
Hq: Bengaluru, Karnataka
MD and CEO: Lingam Venkata Prabhakar
Tagline: Together we can
Canara Bank – 3 Loan Schemes Amid Fight Against COVID-19.
6. Which Bank has announced a unique way to assess creditworthiness of a specific group of customers?
A) SBM Bank India
B) DBS Bank India
C) ICICI Bank
D) Bandhan Bank
E) HDFC Bank
Answer: C) ICICI Bank
- ICICI Bank has announced a unique way to assess creditworthiness of a specific group of customers.
- The bank will use satellite data imagery to assess the creditworthiness of its customers belonging to the farm sector.
- With the introduction of this new method, ICICI Bank will become the first in India and among few globally to use satellite data to measure an array of parameters related to the land, irrigation and crop patterns and use it in combination with demographic and financial parameters to make quicker lending decisions for farmers.
- The Bank has partnered with agri–fintech companies specialising in harnessing space technology and weather information for commercial usage.
- It has worked closely with them to build reports with over 40 parameters for assessing credit-worthiness of a farmer with deep study of the land, irrigation and crop patterns.
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO: SandeepBakshi
Tagline: Hum Hai Na, KhayalApka
ICICI Bank – Use satellite data to assess creditworthiness of farmers.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
7. STARGAZING: The Players in My Life is authored by whom?
A) Sathish Shastri
B) Sarathi Shastri
C) Ravi Shastri
D) Sakthi Shastri
E) Varun Shastri
Answer: C) Ravi Shastri
- HarperCollins is proud to publish STARGAZING: The Players in My Life by Ravi Shastri, releasing fall 2021.
STARGAZING: The Players in My Life – Authored by Ravi Shastri –Published by HarperCollins.
8. Who will take charge as the commerce secretary?
A) Mr Subrahmanyam
B) Mr Anand
C) Mr Sudhan
D) Mr Ganesh
E) Mr Sakthi
Answer: A) Mr Subrahmanyam
- The Centre issued order giving one year of extension to the service of both internal and external intelligence agencies while the Jammu and Kashmir Chief Secretary is now posted as Commerce Secretary in Centre.
- Under the order issued by the Appointment Committee of the Cabinet of the Ministry of Personnel, the Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW) chief Samanta Goel and Director Intelligence Bureau (IB) Arvinda Kumar have been given one year of extension.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved an extension in service of Shri Samanta Kumar Goel, IPS (PB:84) as secretary Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW) for a period of one year beyond the present tenure i.e 30.06.2021, in relaxation of FR 56(d) and Rule 16(1A) of All India Services (Death cum Retirement Benefits), Rule 1958.
- Mr Subrahmanyam, on his return from J&K, will take charge as the officer on special duty in the Commerce Ministry.
- On June 30, he will take charge as the commerce secretary.
- ACC has also approved his appointment as secretary, department of commerce upon superannuation of Shri Anup Wadhwan IAS (UK: 85) secretary department of commerce on 30.06 2021.
Mr Subrahmanyam – Commerce secretary.
9. Frank-Walter Steinmeier is appointed as President of which country?
Answer: E) Germany
- German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier announced that he intends to run for the second term.
Bashar Al-Assad Re-Elected As Syrian President For 4th Term:
- Bashar al-Assad has been re-elected for a fourth term as president of war-ravaged Syria.
Frank-Walter Steinmeier – German President to run for 2nd term.
10. Arun Kumar Mehta appointed new Chief Secretary of which state/UT?
A) Arunachal Pradesh
E) Jammu & Kashmir
Answer: E) Jammu & Kashmir
- AK Mehta, an IAS officer of Jammu and Kashmir cadre, was asked to take over as the new chief secretary of the union territory after the incumbent BVR Subrahmanyam was transferred to the Commerce Ministry at the Centre.
- Subrahmanyam, a 1987 batch IAS officer from Chhattisgarh, was earlier in the day shifted to the Department of Commerce as the Officer on Special Duty.
- He will be posted as the commerce secretary on June 30 when the incumbent Anup Wadhawan retires.
AK Mehta – New chief secretary of Jammu and Kashmir.
11. Which Movie won Grand Jury Award for Best Feature at the Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles (IFFLA)?
Answer: B) Seththumaan
- Tamil filmmaker Thamizh’s debut film Seththumaan and Karishma Dube’s short Bittu have bagged top prizes at the Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles (IFFLA).
- The 19th edition of festival concluded its eight-day run, during which it showcased 40 films in 17 languages, including movies by 16 women directors.
- A jury comprising of Milan Chakraborty, Nathan Fischer and Jenn Wilson declared Thamizh’s Seththumaan as the winner of Grand Jury Award for Best Feature.
- Filmmaker Sajin Baabu’s Malayalam film Biriyaani was recognised with the Honorable Mention, while Ajitpal Singh’s Fire in the Mountains took home the Audience Award for Best Feature.
- Karishma Dube’s Bittu, which was in the race for a nomination at the 2021 Oscars, bagged the Grand Jury Prize for Best Short.
- Actor Nivita Chaliki received the Honorable Mention for Best Performance in a Short for her film Forever Tonight.
- The Audience Award for Best Short went to queer love story The Song We Sang by Aarti Neharsh.
Thamizh’s Seththumaan – Grand Jury Award for Best Feature at the Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles.
12. Japan to deliver how much amount worth of extra medical equipment to India?
A) $12.8 Million
B) $13.8 Million
C) $14.8 Million
D) $11.8 Million
E) $10.8 Million
Answer: C) $14.8 Million
- Japan will send additional 2,000 oxygen concentrators and 1,000 lung ventilators, worth $14.8 million, to India, as part of the $50 million aid package to fight the Coronavirus pandemic.
- This decision is part of the free of charge aid [package] in the sum of $50 million. We will send 1,000 lung ventilators and 2,000 oxygen concentrators via UNOPS (United Nations Office for Project Services) channels,” the ministry said in a document obtained by Sputnik.
Currency: Japanese Yen
Prime Minister: Yoshihide Suga
Japan – Deliver $14.8mln worth of extra medical equipment to India.
13. Which country participates in first physical meeting of UNSC since December?
Answer: A) India
- Five months after India was elected as non-permanent member of United Nations Security Council (UNSC), the country’s ambassador participated in an in-person meeting of the UN’s most powerful body, the first to be held since December 2020.
- He also posted photographs of the meeting inside the UNSC chamber.
- The last time the members of the 15-menmber UNSC met in person in the chamber was on December 7, 2020.
- India, Norway, Kenya, Ireland and Mexico joined non-permanent members Estonia, Niger, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Tunisia and Vietnam and the five permanent members China, France, Russia, UK and the US in January 2021.
- India has been elected for the eighth time as a non-permanent member. India’s previous tenure in UNSC was in 2011-2012.
India – Participate in first physical meeting of UNSC since December.
14. Which armed forces conducts skill development training’ for maintenance of Oxygen plants?
C) Indian Air Force
D) Indian Army
E) Indian Navy
Answer: E) Indian Navy
- With an aim to run the Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) Oxygen plants efficiently, the Visakhapatnam Naval Dockyard, under the Eastern Naval Command commenced a ‘Skill Development Training Program’ on “Maintenance of PSA Oxygen Plants” based on discussions between the Indian Navy and Niti Ayog.
- During this discussion, it was decided to impart Skill Development Training for the Master Trainers on the maintenance of PSA Oxygen generation plants as a large number of these PSA plants were being inducted across the country to meet the increased requirement of Oxygen during the on-going COVID-19 Pandemic.
- The four-day training programme is being conducted by a team of experts from Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam over Video Conference and includes theoretical sessions and practical demonstrations on the PSA plant available at Dockyard.
- The training is attended by 82 Master Trainers from various institutes spread in 30 cities across the country. Professors from IIT, Kanpur and officials from the Ministry of Health And Family Welfare along with the Ministry of Skill Development also participated in the training.
- Officials from Vishakhapatnam dockyard and Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) gave the welcome address for the training which was followed by an inaugural address by DG, DGT, MSDE and the ASD, Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam. “Hands-On” training on the PSA plant would be held at Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam subsequently.
Indian Navy – Skill development training’ for maintenance of Oxygen plants.
15. Which organisation develops critical near isothermal forging technology for aero-engines?
Answer: E) DRDO
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said that it has established the near isothermal forging technology to produce all the five stages of high-pressure compressors (HPC) discuss out of difficult-to-deform titanium alloy using its unique 2000 MT isothermal forge press for aero-engines.
- Developed by Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL), a premier metallurgical laboratory of DRDO at Hyderabad, this crucial technology will make India self-reliance in aero-engine technology and this way the country has joined the league of limited global engine developers to have the manufacturing capabilities of such critical aero engine components.
- To meet the bulk production requirements, DMRL technology was transferred to domestic company MIDHANI through a licensing agreement for technology transfer (LAToT).
- Using the isothermal forge press facility available at DMRL, Hyderabad, bulk quantity (200 numbers) of HPC disc forgings pertaining to various compressor stages have been jointly (DMRL & MIDHANI) produced and successfully supplied to Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (E), Bengaluru for fitment in to ‘Adour Engine’ that powers the Jaguar/Hawk Aircrafts.
- In India, the Adour engine is overhauled by HAL (E), Bengaluru under a licensed manufacturing agreement with OEM.
- Like in any aero-engine, the HPC Drum assembly has to be replaced after a specified number of operations or in case of damage.
- The annual requirements of these high value HPC discs are quite large, warranting indigenisation.
Abbreviation: Defence Research and Development Organisation
Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
Chairman: G. Satheesh Reddy
DRDO – Critical near isothermal forging technology for aero-engines.
16. Which state launched Udaan scheme for providing free sanitary pads to needy women & girls?
C) Uttar Pradesh
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: E) Punjab
- Punjab Social Security, Women and Child Development Minister Aruna Chaudhary launched the women-empowerment oriented “UDAAN Scheme” throughout the state on the occasion of International Menstrual Hygiene Day, under which sanitary pads would be distributed free of cost to needy women and girls of the state every month.
- Under this new scheme, School drop-out/out-of-school girls, young women not attending college, women from BPL families, residing in slum areas and homeless women, women of itinerant traveler (banjara) families and left-out beneficiaries (preferably households having blue cards), who are not availing free/subsidized sanitary pads under any scheme of other departments, would be covered by incurring Rs 40.55 crore per annum for this purpose.
- Beneficiaries will be covered through statewide network of 27,314 Anganwari Centres.
And, around 50 beneficiaries would be covered through each Anganwari Centre as each Anganwari Centre caters to the population of 400 households.
- In case, more than 50 beneficiaries make visit at AWCs to avail the benefit of free sanitary pads, they must be provided sanitary pads accordingly.
Punjab launches Smart Village campaign to clean ponds:
- Punjab government under the Smart Village campaign has started de-watering and de-silting of ponds across the state.
- This campaign has been launched to provide a fresh clean natural environment in the villages with directions to the departmental officials to complete this task before the monsoon season by June 10, 2021
Punjab – Udaan scheme for providing free sanitary pads to needy women & girls.
17. Which edition of meeting of the GST Council begun through video conferencing?
Answer: C) 43rd
- The 43rd meeting of the GST Council, the first this year in the midst of second wave of Covid pandemic, begun through video conferencing participated Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- The meeting is being chaired by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and is being attended by finance ministers of all states and union territories. Senior officers from the Centre and states are also present in the meeting.
- The meeting coming in the backdrop of fresh and more deadly Covid wave sweeping the country, is expected to discuss and announce a few Covid relief measures particularly in relation to duty relief on essential Coronavirus supplies and other compliance matters.
- It may also announce few measures to correct the inverted duty while discuss the compensation cess dues arising in 2021-22 due to a possible shortfall in cess collections.
Finance and Corporate Affairs:
Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman
Constituency: Rajya Sabha MP, Karnataka
Nirmala Sitharaman – 43rd GST Council meet begins via video conference.
18. NGT imposes Rs 1.17 cr penalty on 21 stone crushers in which state?
C) Uttar Pradesh
D) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: D) Andhra Pradesh
- The National Green Tribunal has slapped over Rs 1.17 crore penalty on 21 stone crushing and quarrying units for causing pollution and damage to the environment.
- A bench comprising Justice K Ramakrishnan and expert member Saibal Dasgupta directed the violators to pay the compensation of Rs 1,17,40,800 within three months.
- It warned that if the amount is not paid, then the Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board (APPCB) is directed to take appropriate steps to realise the amount with the aid of concerned District Collector by initiating necessary proceedings in accordance with law.
- The bench also asked the APPCB to make periodical inspection of these crusher units and if any violation is found or there is non-compliance of recommendations, “then the Board is directed to take appropriate action against the erring units, apart from issuing closure direction, assess environmental compensation and recover the amount from them on the basis of the guidelines provided by the Central Pollution Control Board in this regard.
Andhra Pradesh govt announces ₹10 lakh fixed deposit for children who lost parents to Covid:
- The Andhra Pradesh government has decided to provide financial aid in the form of fixed deposits to children who lost their parents to Covid-19.
- State Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy announced ₹10 lakh ex-gratia as FDs for children below the age of 18 years whose families are below the poverty line.
Schemes in other states:
- The Kerala government announced ‘one-time’ financial help of ₹3 lakh for children orphaned due to Covid-19.
- Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said ₹2,000 per month will be given to the children till 18 years of age. Besides, the state government will bear the cost of their education till degree level.
- Not just Kerala, several other state governments have also announced financial aid, as well as, educational support for children whose parents died due to Covid-19.
- For instance, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had said the educational expenses of the children who have lost their parents due to covid-19 will be taken care of by the government.
- Moreover, Odisha and Manipur governments had also decided to take care of children who have become orphans after losing their parents to coronavirus.
National Green Tribunal:
Chairman: Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel
Act: The National Green Tribunal Act, 2010
Capital: Visakhapatnam (executive), Amaravati (legislative), Kurnool (judicial)
CM: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
NGT – Impose Rs 1.17 cr penalty on 21 stone crushers in Andhra Pradesh.
19. Who launched Directorate General National Cadet Corps (NCC) Mobile Training App Version 2.0 in New Delhi?
A) Ajay Kumar
B) Amit Shah
C) Nirmala Sitharaman
D) Rajnath Singh
E) Venkaiah Naidu
Answer: A) Ajay Kumar
- Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar launched Directorate General National Cadet Corps (NCC) Mobile Training App Version 2.0 in New Delhi.
- The app will assist in conducting countrywide online training to NCC cadets during the COVID-19 pandemic conditions.
- It is aimed at providing NCC-related basic information and entire training material (Syllabus, Précis, Training Videos, Frequently Asked Questions) on one platform.
- It provides the NCC cadets easy access to training material and assists in carrying out training during the pandemic.
- The NCC Training App Version 2.0 will be useful to the cadets in digital learning, overcoming the difficulties posed by COVID-19 restrictions on physical contact.
- DG NCC Mobile App Version 1.0 for training was launched by Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh on August 27, 2020 in order to assist online cadet training.
- DG NCC Mobile Training App Version 2.0 will be bilingual (Hindi and English).
- New pages have also been included for ease of navigation on the app.
- Officers and cadets of all 17 NCC Directorates attended the event virtually from across the country.
- Senior civil & military officials of Ministry of Defence were also present on the occasion.
Defence Secretary – DG NCC Mobile Training App 2.0.