Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 26 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. Alex Wakely is related to which sports?
A) Base Ball
C) Volley ball
Answer: E) Cricket
- Former Northamptonshire captain Alex Wakely announced his retirement from all forms of cricket with immediate effect.
- Northamptonshire first-class cricketer number 453, Wakely represented the county on 371 occasions across all formats, scoring more than 12,000 runs.
Alex Wakely – Retirement from all forms of cricket.
2. David Klein passed away. He served as Governor of which Governor Bank?
Answer: E) Israel
- Former Bank of Israel Governor David Klein has died at the age of 86, the central bank said.
- Klein, who died, began at the bank in 1987 and served as its seventh governor between 2000 and 2005, a time when Israel was facing an economic crisis.
- Klein was succeeded by Stanley Fischer in 2005.
Centenarian Gandhian and freedom fighter H S Doreswamy passes away:
- Centenarian freedom fighter H S Doreswamy died after suffering a cardiac arrest in a hospital.
- The 103-year-old freedom fighter had recovered from coronavirus on May 13.
- Born on April 10, 1918, Harohalli Srinivasaiah Doreswamy took part in the “Quit India movement” and was jailed for 14 months from 1943 to 1944.
- The Gandhian had also participated in the ‘Mysuru Chalo’ movement to compel then Mysuru Maharaja to accede to the Indian State post-independence An alumni of the Central college in Bengaluru, Doreswamy was into the teaching profession and even ran a newspaper called ‘Pauravani’.
- Age did not diminish the spirit of Doreswamy as he was an active social activist till his last breath.
David Klein – Former Bank of Israel governor.
3. Ranjita Rane passed away. She was related to which sports?
A) Base Ball
C) Volley ball
Answer: E) Cricket
- Former Mumbai all-rounder Ranjita Rane died in Mumbai after battling with cancer. Rane played 44 first class matches for Mumbai from 1995 to 2003 and was only in her mid 40s before she succumbed to the deadly disease.
- Rane was a bowling all-rounder who bowled medium pace for Mumbai between 1995 and 2003.
- She was also a hard-hitter and started her career at the Indian Gymkhana in Matunga before going on to play for the Mumbai side
- She was also a well known cricket scorer.
- The Mumbai Cricket Association expressed grief over the tragic death of their cricketer.
Ranjita Rane – Former Mumbai All-Rounder.
4. Who become the world’s richest person by Forbes?
A) Bill Gates
B) Warren Buffett
C) Bernard Arnault
D) Jeff Bezos
E) Elon Musk
Answer: C) Bernard Arnault
- Bernard Arnault, CEO and majority owner of French luxury group LVMH, has briefly surpassed Amazon founder Jeff Bezos to become the world’s richest person.
- As per Forbes, Arnault claimed the top spot with a net worth of $186.4 billion surpassing Bezos whose net worth stands at $186 billion.
- The French fashion tycoon has added over $47 billion to his net worth so far in 2021.
- Earlier in January this year, LVMH completed a deal for American jeweler Tiffany & Co for $15.8 billion, believed to be the biggest luxury brand acquisition ever.
Bernard Arnault – Overtake Jeff Bezos to become world’s richest person.
BANKING AND FINANCE
5. Which bank announced the launch of a unique facility of linking a UPI (Unified Payments Interface) ID to its digital wallet ‘Pockets’?
A) IndusInd Bank
B) Canara Bank
C) ICICI Bank
D) Yes Bank
E) HDFC Bank
Answer: C) ICICI Bank
- Private sector lender, ICICI Bank announced the launch of a unique facility of linking a UPI (Unified Payments Interface) ID to its digital wallet ‘Pockets’, marking a departure from the current practice that demands such IDs be linked with a savings bank account.
- New users, including those who are not customers of ICICI Bank, can now instantly get a UPI ID, which is automatically linked to ‘Pockets’.
- Further, customers who already have a UPI ID, will get a new ID when they log on to the ‘Pockets’ app.
- This initiative enables users to undertake small value everyday transactions directly from their ‘Pockets’ wallet using UPI in a safe and secure manner.
- It helps them to streamline the number of transactions being undertaken daily from their savings account and thus de-clutter their savings account statement of multiple entries.
- Further, it expands the convenient usage of UPI to young adults like college students, who may not have a savings account.
- ICICI Bank is the first in the industry to enable customers to make UPI transactions from their wallet balance instead of their savings account.
- The Bank has collaborated with NPCI to link its ‘Pockets’ digital wallet to the UPI network, paving way for this novel initiative of linking of a customer’s UPI ID with his/ her digital wallet. With this, customers using ‘Pockets’ can pay/ receive money directly from/to ‘Pockets’ wallet balance without using their savings bank account.
- Users of ‘Pockets’ digital wallet can use the UPI ID to make person to person (P2P) payments such as sending money to any individual’s bank account or paying to a contact.
- They can also undertake person to merchant (P2M) payments like paying online at merchant sites or paying by scanning QR codes.
- Additionally, users get exciting rewards on every transaction that they make using the wallet.
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO: SandeepBakshi
Tagline: Hum Hai Na, KhayalApka
ICICI Bank – Link UPI ID facility to its ‘Pockets’ digital wallet.
6. Which fintech company launches cloud-ready ‘rt360 Credit Risk Suite’ enabling Banks, NBFCs?
A) BCT Digital
B) Financial Software & Systems
E) ItzCash Card
Answer: A) BCT Digital
- BCT Digital, a global Fintech company specializing in regulatory technologies announces the launch of its specialized Cloud-Ready rt360 Credit Risk Suite.
- BCT Digital’s risk management product suite ‘rt360’ recently won the ‘Rising Star Award’, presented by Chartis Research – a leading provider of research and analysis on the global market for risk technology.
- The full-stack credit risk suite includes origination & on-boarding, credit monitoring, fraud monitoring, credit analytics, and other value-added services – all on the cloud.
- Their award-winning rt360 EWS (Early Warning System) is now an integral component of the cloud-ready credit risk suite.
- The cloud-ready product can now empower banks, NBFCs, and HFCs to quickly implement the product and immediately gain control over their asset book.
- The product is equipped to handle millions of data points through sophisticated AI/ML-based predictive models to detect patterns and quantify risks.
- The rt360 Credit Risk Suite addresses concerns of risk practitioners in banks and other financial institutions involved in lending/investment decisions relating to building the banking book.
- It enables lenders and portfolio managers to have tighter control over their asset book at any point in the credit lifecycle, through various business services, such as the rt360 EWS, that are available in a highly modular form.
- The cloud-ready rt360 – EWS is designed using state-of-the-art micro-services-based open API architecture, comes with connectors and automated data capturing mechanisms in real-time.
- These integrate with the internal and external sources to extract millions of data points on customers through means such as APIs / streaming feeds in addition to legacy methods.
- Sophisticated AI, ML models detect fraud patterns, minimize false positives and quantify risks through effective scoring algorithms that compute critical default statistics.
- The pre-built and extensible library of early warning indicators include regulator-prescribed indicators such as RBI’s RFA and the Department of Financial Services scenarios for India.
- Alerts including those of fund diversion, negative news, and financials are sent to a configurable mobile responsive inbox.
- Bankers can leverage rt360 EWS’s powerful case management to manage alerts as per the escalation hierarchy for timely corrective action.
- The cloud-ready rt360 Credit Risk Suite enables financial institutions to focus on profitable credit growth while mitigating risk.
BCT Digital – Cloud-ready ‘rt360 Credit Risk Suite’ enabling Banks, NBFCs.
7. Which organisation bans Tree House Education promoters from capital market?
Answer: E) SEBI
- SEBI has banned Rajesh Bhatia and his wife Geeta Bhatia, promoters of Tree House Education and Accessories, from accessing stock market for one year and levied a fine of ₹28 lakh for indulging in insider trading during the company’s merger with Zee Learn in 2015.
Abbreviation: Securities and Exchange Board of India
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
SEBI – Ban Tree House Education promoters from capital market.
8. Subodh Kumar Jaiswal has been appointed the next Director of Central Investigation Agency (CBI) for a two-year period. He served as DG of which organisation?
A) Indian Navy
C) Indian Army
Answer: D) CISF
- Subodh Kumar Jaiswal has been appointed the next Director of Central Investigation Agency (CBI) for a two-year period.
- A 1985 batch of Maharashtra cadre IPS officer, Mr Jaiswal was also Director General of Police (DGP) of Maharashtra before he was appointed CISF DG.
- The post of CBI Director was lying vacant since the retirement of Rishi Kumar Shukla in February this year.
Abbreviation: The Central Bureau of Investigation
Headquarters: New Delhi
Founded: 1 April 1963
Director: Subodh Kumar Jaiswal
Subodh Kr Jaiswal – Next CBI Director.
9. Anatole Collinet Makosso is appointed as Prime Minister of which country?
B) The Democratic Republic of the Congo
Answer: B) The Democratic Republic of the Congo
The Democratic Republic of the Congo:
Currency: Congolese franc
President: Félix Tshisekedi
Anatole Collinet Makosso – Prime Minister of The Democratic Republic of the Congo.
10. Which health company wins Gold Stevie Award 2021?
A) Althea Group Holdings Ltd
B) Starpharma Holdings Limited
C) Cynata Therapeutics Ltd
D) Polynovo Ltd
Answer: E) SpiceHealth
- SpiceHealth, a healthcare company founded by the promoters of SpiceJet, has won the Gold Award at the 2021 Asia-Pacific Stevie Awards for ‘Most Valuable Medical Innovation’ under coronavirus disease (Covid-19) response category.
- This award is based on the average scores of more than 100 global professionals for more than 900 nominations from organizations and over three months of judging.
- The Asia-Pacific Stevie Awards are the only business awards program to recognise innovation in the workplace in all 29 nations of the Asia-Pacific region.
- The Stevie Awards are widely considered to be the world’s premier business awards, conferring recognition for achievement in programs such as The International Business Awards for 19 years.
SpiceHealth – Gold Stevie Award 2021.
11. Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi won the Jhalak Prize 2021. He is related to which country?
Answer: E) Uganda
- This year, the Jhalak Prize has been awarded to Ugandan writer Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi for her novel The First Woman and British writer Patrice Lawrence for Eight Pieces of Silva for the inaugural children’s and young adult category of the award
Published in 2020, The First Woman centers on Kirabo, a young girl who grows up in a Ugandan village and with experience learns the worth of becoming a woman in a community that makes no space for her voice.
- Makumbi fuses folklore in her narrative lending the novel an epic-like quality.
- Eight Pieces of Silva, on the other hand, is young adult fiction.
- It is a mystery novel but the narrative is strengthened with themes like sisterly bonds thriving on mutual K-pop fixation.
- First awarded in 2017, The Jhalak Prize has been instituted by authors writers Nikesh Shukla, Sunny Singh, and Media Diversified.
- The intent of the literary award is to showcase authors of colour, and is awarded to British or British-resident BAME writers (an umbrella term for Black, Asian, and minority ethnic).
- It entails prize money of £1,000.
Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi + Patrice Lawrence – Jhalak Prize 2021.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
12. Which IIT is launching ‘Shaastra’, a Tech Magazine will be the first-of-its-kind to be published by an Indian educational institution?
A) IIT Mandi
B) IIT Kharagpur
C) IIT Kanpur
D) IIT Hyderabad
E) IIT Madras
Answer: E) IIT Madras
- The Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (IIT-M) is launching ‘Shaastra’, a Tech Magazine, which will be the first-of-its-kind to be published by an Indian educational institution.
- This Science, Technology and Innovation magazine will address a mass audience and articulate not just Indian but global trends.
- Supported by 50,000 alumni of IIT-Madras, Shaastra is intended to serve as a platform to showcase sterling achievements in science, technology and innovation in India and abroad, with the goal of enabling informed conversations between industry, academia, and policymakers.
- IIT Madras will play a crucial role to foster an objective viewpoint in the magazine and help take scientific developments to a wider community.
- Shaastra will feature a wide range of topics in S and T and developments in innovation happening in India as well as around the world.
- The magazine’s print edition will come out every two months.
- The web version can also be accessed online at shaastramag.org, according to a release.
IIT-Madras – First tech magazine Shaastra.
13. Which IIT develops smart window materials for automatic climate control of buildings?
A) IIT Mandi
B) IIT Kharagpur
C) IIT Kanpur
D) IIT Guwahati
E) IIT Madras
Answer: D) IIT Guwahati
- Dr. Debabrata Sikdar, Assistant Professor, Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, along with his research scholar, Ashish Kumar Chowdhary from IIT Guwahati, have designed a smart window material that can effectively control the amount of heat and light passing through it in response to an applied voltage.
- Such smart window materials would help developing efficient automatic climate control systems in buildings.
- The results of their study have recently been published in the journal Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells.
IIT Guwahati – Smart window materials for automatic climate control of buildings.
14. WHO and which country launched BioHub for pathogen storage and analysis?
Answer: D) Switzerland
- The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Swiss Confederation have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to launch the first WHO BioHub Facility as part of the WHO BioHub System, announced in November 2020. According to the WHO, this facility will enhance the rapid sharing of viruses and other pathogens between laboratories and partners globally.
- Based in Spiez, Switzerland, the facility will serve as a centre for the safe receipt, sequencing, storage and preparation of biological materials for distribution to other laboratories, in order to inform risk assessments and sustain global preparedness against these pathogens.
Abbreviation – The World Health Organization
Director-General – Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
Founded – 7 April 1948
Currency: Swiss franc
WHO + Switzerland – Launch BioHub for pathogen storage and analysis.
15. Which state launches ‘SAANS’ campaign to prevent & treat pneumonia in children?
A) Himachal Pradesh
D) West Bengal
Answer: E) Punjab
- Punjab Health and Family Welfare Minister Balbir Singh Sidhu launched Social Awareness and Action to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully (SAANS) campaign.
- To protect the childhood pneumonia, there is need of effective coverage of protective, preventive and treatment interventions with enough emphasis on exclusive breastfeeding, adequate complementary feeding, Vitamin A supplementation, vaccine coverage, safe WASH and reduced house-hold air pollution.
Punjab govt announces free treatment for all COVID patients under state health insurance:
- Punjab government announced to provide free treatment to all COVID patients who are enrolled under state health insurance policy – Sarbat Sehat Beema Yojna – at empanelled private hospitals.
- Treatment of COVID-19 patients are already free in the government hospitals.
- This initiative shall bring an immense relief to the vulnerable and deprived section, which will now be able to avail level 2 and level 3 treatment in empanelled private hospitals.
CM: Captain Amarinder Singh
Governor: V P Singh Badnore
Punjab – ‘SAANS’ campaign to prevent & treat pneumonia in children.
16. Which state inaugurated an app named Palash Home Delivery App?
A) Himachal Pradesh
D) West Bengal
Answer: C) Jharkhand
- Rural Development Minister Aalamgir Aalam inaugurated Palash Home Delivery App which is run by the Jharkhand State Livelihood Promotion Society.
- Speaking on the inauguration the Minister said that through this app people in 19 districts will be able to order 27 items including spices, pulses, wheat flour, soap and edible items.
- The app will enable people to shop from the comfort of their homes.
CM: Hemant Soren
Governor: Draupadi Murmu
Jharkhand – Palash Home Delivery App.
17. Which state launched the surveillance system on Ganga river by drones?
A) Uttar Pradesh
D) West Bengal
Answer: A) Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched the surveillance system on Ganga river by drones which will be operated from the Covid Control Room at Sigra in Varanasi.
- In the surveillance system, the monitoring reports from drones in the Ganga will be sent continuously to the control room.
- For this, modern cameras will separately send videos and photos of the drone.
- The same drones will also periodically inspect the sanitation system of the city and rural areas apart from sanitisation and for this purpose, the Municipal Corporation has purchased four drones.
CM: Yogi Adityanath
Governor: Anandiben Patel
Uttar Pradesh – Drone surveillance on Ganga river.
18. The Common Services Centres has partnered with which company to offer Covid-relief facilities and drive awareness campaigns regarding prevention and care against the pandemic in rural India?
A) Google Pay
Answer: C) PayPal
- The Common Services Centres (CSCs) of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has partnered with digital payments provider PayPal to offer Covid-relief facilities and drive awareness campaigns regarding prevention and care against the pandemic in rural India. PayPal will support the CSC Academy, the CSR wing of CSC, in setting up PSA oxygen plants in five hospitals in four states — one each in Bengaluru (Karnataka), Chennai (Tamil Nadu) and Jaunpur (Uttar Pradesh) and two in Patna (Bihar).
- These plants will be fully automated and designed to work unattended with minimum start-up time to generate oxygen with the desired purity within minutes.
- Mobile vans sponsored by PayPal will create awareness and provide services like antigen testing, registration for vaccination, basic Covid medicine kits and essential provisions in Karnataka, Bihar, Tamil Nadu and Himachal Pradesh.
Headquarters: San Jose, California, United States
Founded: December 1998
Common Services Centres + PayPal – Fight against Covid-19 in rural India.
19. Which state re-introduces Provision Essential Kits to people to lessen their COVID-19 hardships?
Answer: A) Meghalaya
- In an effort to lessen the hardships faced by residents of Meghalaya living with COVID-19, the State Government has decided to re-introduce the Provision Essential Kits.
- The Provision Essential Kits was introduced last year by the State Government during the first wave of COVID-19.
CM: Conrad Sangma
Governor: Satya Pal Malik
Meghalaya – Re-introduce Provision Essential Kits to people to lessen their COVID-19 hardships.
20. The finance ministry said banks and financial institutions have sanctioned about how much amount to over 28 crore beneficiaries under the Mudra scheme in the last six years?
A) Rs 15 lakh crore
B) Rs 25 lakh crore
C) Rs 35 lakh crore
D) Rs 45 lakh crore
E) Rs 55 lakh crore
Answer: A) Rs 15 lakh crore
- The finance ministry said banks and financial institutions have sanctioned about Rs 15 lakh crore to over 28 crore beneficiaries under the Mudra scheme in the last six years.
Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana (PMMY) was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 8, 2015, to promote entrepreneurship.
- Under the scheme, collateral-free loans up to Rs 10 lakh in three categories – namely Shishu, Kishore and Tarun for income-generating activities in manufacturing, trading and services sectors and activities allied to agriculture are provided.
- Last year, the government decided to provide 2 per cent interest subvention to borrowers under the ‘Shishu’ category of the flagship PMMY as part of the stimulus package or Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan Package announced in May to help small businesses tide over difficulties created by the lockdown following the outbreak of coronavirus disease.
- Under the Shishu category, collateral-free loans of up to Rs 50,000 are given to beneficiaries.
- The scheme was extended to loans that were outstanding as of March 31, 2020, and not in the non-performing asset (NPA) category.
- At the end of March 2020, about 9.37 crore loan accounts under the Shishu category of PMMY with a total loan amount of about Rs 1.62 Lakh crore were outstanding.
- For borrowers, who have been allowed a moratorium, as permitted by the RBI under the ‘COVID 19 Regulatory Package’, the scheme commenced post completion of the moratorium period till a period of 12 months (from September 01, 2020, till August 31, 2021).
- For other borrowers, the scheme commenced with effect from June 1, 2020, till May 31, 2021.
Finance and Corporate Affairs:
Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman
Constituency: Rajya Sabha MP, Karnataka
The finance ministry – Banks sanction over Rs 15 lakh crore under Mudra Yojana.
21. Which edition of virtual IHGF of Delhi fair was inaugurated by the Prime Minister?
Answer: B) 51st
- The 51st edition of virtual IHGF of Delhi fair (19th -23rd May, 2021) was inaugurated with message of the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, for the success of 51st edition of IHGF Delhi Fair.
- In his message, the Prime Minister appreciated the richness and diversity of our handicrafts which has been a unique feature of our nation’s culture and heritage.
- The 51st IHGF Delhi Fair 2021 is India’s largest Virtual Fair in the Home, Fashion, Lifestyle, Textiles and Furniture sector and an exclusive B2B online platform is developed to assist the buyers from all across the globe to source from India.
- The Fair organised by the EPCH will see participation of 1500 plus manufacturers and exporters showcasing 2000 plus product expressions.
- The overseas buyers from over 85 countries from across the globe have already registered to visit the show.
- The estimated figures for exports of handicrafts for the period April-March of the financial year 2020-21 which stands at Rs. 25558.94 crores (USD 3443.45 million) registering a growth of 1.14 % (Rupee terms) and decline (-)3.39 % (dollar terms) over the same period last year.
Prime Minister, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Department of Atomic Energy, Department of Space and All-important policy issues and All other portfolios not allocated to any Minister:
Minister: Narendra Modi
Constituency: Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
Shri Narendra Modi – 51st IHGF – Delhi Fair-2021.