Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
January 18 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. National Road Safety Month to be held in ____________?
A) January 15 to February 14, 2021
B) January 18 to February 17, 2021
C) January 16 to February 15, 2021
D) January 17 to February 16, 2021
E) January 19 to February 18, 2021
Answer: B) January 18 to February 17, 2021
- The National Road Safety Month (January 18-February 17) was inaugurated today with the inaugural function held at the Vigyan Bhavan.
- The function was launched by Union Minister for Defence, Rajnath Singh and Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways & MSME, Nitin Gadkari.
- The Minister of State for RTH, Gen (RetD) VK Singh and CEO, NITI Aayog, Amitabh Kant also participated.
- Activities planned during the National Road Safety Month include the launch of a film on road safety, flag-off of a National Championship Safe Speed Challenge from Wagah border to Kanyakumari, and giving away of awards for Road Safety.
- State Governments, PSUs, and Insurance companies will also participate in awareness-creating activities, with seminars, walkathons and poster-making competitions.
2. The Yonex Thailand Open is started in which date?
A) January 15
B) January 14
C) January 13
D) January 11
E) January 12
Answer: E) January 12
- The Yonex Thailand Open was a badminton tournament which took place at the Impact Arena in Thailand from 12 to 17 January 2021.
|Men’s Singles||Viktor Axelsen||Denmark||Angus Long||Hong Kong|
|Women’s Singles||Carolina Marin||Spain||Tai Tzu-ying||Taiwan|
|Men’s Doubles||Lee Yang||Taiwan||Goh V Shem||Malaysia|
|Wang Chi-Lin||Tan Wee Kiong|
|Women’s Doubles||Greysia Polii||Indonesia||Jongkolphan Kititharakul||Thailand|
|Apriyni Rahayu||Rawinda Prajongjai|
|Mixed Doubles||Dechapol Puavaranukroh||Thailand||Praveen Jordan||Malaysia|
|Sapsiree Taerattanachai||Melati Daeva Oktavianti|
YONEX Thailand Open – 12 to 17 January 2021.
BANKING AND FINANCE
3. Which financial organisation and EIB formed a new clean and sustainable ocean partnership to support initiatives in Asia and the Pacific to help meet SDGs and climate goals of the Paris Agreement?
E) World Bank
Answer: A) ADB
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) and European Investment Bank (EIB) formed a new clean and sustainable ocean partnership to support initiatives in Asia and the Pacific to help meet Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and climate goals of the Paris Agreement.
- Both institutions will finance activities aimed at promoting cleaner oceans through the reduction of land-based plastics and other pollutants discharged into the ocean, as well as projects to improve the sustainability of socio-economic activities that take place in oceans or use ocean-based resources.
ADB + EIB – Clean and Sustainable Ocean Partnership.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
4. Larsen & Toubro (L&T) has bagged an up to how much amount contract from Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd (RVNL) in Uttarakhand?
A) Rs 5,000 crore
B) Rs 1,000 crore
C) Rs 2,000 crore
D) Rs 4,000 crore
E) Rs 3,000 crore
Answer: A) Rs 5,000 crore
- The construction arm of L&T has secured a large order for its Heavy Civil Infrastructure business from Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL) for package-4 of the New Broad-Gauge Line between Rishikesh and Karanprayag in Uttarakhand.
- The project involves the construction of a 14.577-Km upline and a 13.123-Km downline tunnel with embankments of approximately 800 meters at both ends.
- Of the 14.577-Km and 13.123-Km of tunnel work, 10.49 Km and 10.317 Km of tunnels will be excavated using two new hard rock Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) of diameter 9.1 meters and the balance using New Austrian Tunnel Method (NATM).
- L&T is already constructing package-2 of this prestigious project involving 24 Kms of Tunnelling by the NATM, minor bridges and formation works.
Larsen & Toubro:
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
CEO: S. N. Subrahmanyan
Capital: Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer)
CM: Trivendra Singh Rawat
Governor: Baby Rani Maurya
L&T – Bag up to Rs 5,000 crore order from Rail Vikas Nigam in Uttarakhand.
ACQUISITIONS AND MERGERS
5. French oil and energy group Total has acquired how much % Stake in India’s Adani Green Energy Limited (AGEL) from Adani Group for $2.5 Billion?
Answer: B) 20
- TOTAL France, a global energy major, will pick up a 20 per cent stake in Adani Green Energy Ltd (AGEL), the renewable power company of Adani Enterprises, by way of acquisition of shares held by the Adani Promoter Group (APG).
- This is the second partnership between TOTAL and an Adani group company. In 2018, TOTAL acquired a 37.4 per cent stake in Adani Gas Limited and a 50 per cent stake in Dhamra LNG project.
- The JV entailed developing various regasification terminals including Dhamra LNG and a retail network of 1,500 service stations over a period of 10 years.
TOTAL France – Acquire 20% stake in Adani Green Energy for $2.5 bn.
6. Sara Ali Khan is appointed as Brand Ambassador of Lifestyle brand Chumbak. She was related to which field?
Answer: A) Actress
Sara Ali Khan – Brand Ambassador of Lifestyle brand Chumbak.
7. Who has been conferred the Skoch Challenger Award for contributions to public policy on urban development?
A) Bala Gopal
B) Kanitha Gopal
C) Karuna Gopal
D) Varuna Gopal
E) Seetha Gopal
Answer: C) Karuna Gopal
- Karuna Gopal, President, Foundation for Futuristic Cities, has been conferred the Skoch Challenger Award, a prestigious civilian honour instituted by the Skoch group in New Delhi.
- Her seminal work spanning more than two decades in the area of Urban Reforms and Urban Innovations has attracted the Skoch group.
Karuna Gopal – Skoch Challenger Award – Contributions to public policy on urban development.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
8. Which IIT has developed an ultrasound-based temperature tracking for treatment monitoring that combines several advantages such as safety, real-time capability and portability, among others?
A) IIT Madras
B) IIT Hyderabad
C) IIT Kanpur
D) IIT Delhi
E) IIT Bombay
Answer: A) IIT Madras
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras have developed an ultrasound-based temperature tracking for treatment monitoring that combines several advantages such as safety (non-ionizing), real-time capability and portability, among others.
- The IIT Madras research team has also been awarded the ‘SITARE – Gandhian Young Technological Innovation (GYTI) Appreciation 2020’ for this project.
- This solution involves obtaining diagnostic ultrasound signals from the tissue region of interest inside the body, where heating is applied non-invasively from outside either through microwave applicator or high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU).
IIT Madras – Develop Ultrasound-based temperature tracking for treatment monitoring.
9. India and which country sign MoC for Proper Operation of System Pertaining to Specified Skilled Worker?
Answer: C) Japan
- India and Japan signed a Memorandum of Cooperation, MoC a Basic Framework for Partnership for Proper Operation of the System Pertaining to Specified Skilled Worker (SSW) today.
- The MoC was signed by Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla and Ambassador of Japan to India Suzuki Satoshi.
- The MoC will help to promote the movement of skilled workers from India to Japan.
- The MoC covers 14 categories of specified skills under which skilled workers from India who meet the skills requirement and Japanese language tests would be eligible for employment in Japan on a contractual basis.
- The 14 specified industry fields include nursing care, building cleaning, material processing, industrial machinery manufacturing, electric and electronic information, construction, shipbuilding and ship-related industry, automobile maintenance, aviation, lodging, agriculture, fisheries, food and beverages manufacturing and food services industry.
Currency: Japanese Yen
Prime Minister: Yoshihide Suga
India + Japan – MoC for Proper Operation of System Pertaining to Specified Skilled Worker.
10. INMAS has developed ‘RAKSHITA’ – a bike ambulance to attend urgent evacuation needs of security force personnel in event of a medical emergency or battle injury in conflict zones. INMAS is research centre of which organisation?
D) IIT Madras
E) IIT Hyderabad
Answer: A) DRDO
- The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Institute of Nuclear Medicine & Allied Sciences (INMAS), DRDO, have developed ‘RAKSHITA’ – a bike ambulance to attend urgent evacuation needs of security force personnel in event of a medical emergency or battle injury in conflict zones.
- Twenty-one ‘bike ambulances’ launched today.
Abbreviation: Defence Research and Development Organisation
Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
Chairman: G. Satheesh Reddy
Abbreviation: The Central Reserve Police Force
Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
Director General: A. P. Maheshwari
CRPF + INMAS, DRDO – ’RAKSHITA’ – Bike ambulances for remote area operations.
11. Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar inaugurated Swachhata Pakhwada organised by which forces at India Gate?
A) Indian Coast Guard
B) Assam Rifles
C) Special Frontier Force
D) Central Industrial Security Force
E) National Cadet Corps
Answer: E) National Cadet Corps
- Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar inaugurated Swachhata Pakhwada ardhan Organised by National Cadet Corps, NCC at India Gate.
- The theme of this Swachhata Pakhwada is ‘Clean India, Green India, Yeh Hai Mera Dream India’.
- He also complimented NCC cadets for their contribution as Corona Warriors to prevent the spread of pandemic through Exercise ‘NCC Yogdan’.
Ajay Kumar – Swachhata Pakhwada organised by NCC at India Gate.
12. United Kingdom has invited Prime Minister Narendra Modi to attend the G7 Summit as a guest. This summit will be held in which month?
Answer: D) June
- United Kingdom has invited Prime Minister Narendra Modi to attend the G7 Summit as a guest.
- The G7 Summit is to be held in June this year.
- The G7, made up of the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, and United States, is the only forum where the world’s most influential and open societies and advanced economies are brought together for close-knit discussions.
Currency: Pound Sterling
Britain – Invite PM Modi to attend G7 Summit to be held in June this year.
13. Who lays foundation stone of environment friendly Ahmedabad Metro Rail Project Phase-II and Surat Metro Rail Project?
A) Narendra Modi
B) Ramnath Kovind
C) Venkaiah Naidu
D) Nirmala Sitharaman
E) Amit Shah
Answer: A) Narendra Modi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid foundation stone of two metro-rail projects.
- These two metro rail projects include Ahmedabad Metro Rail Project Phase-II and Surat Metro Rail Project. Bhoomi Poojan was held via video conferencing.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Gujarat Governor Acharya Devvrat, Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani and Union Housing & Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri were also present on this occasion.
- The completion cost of both Ahmedabad Metro Rail Project Phase-II and Surat Metro Rail Project is Rs 5,384 crores and Rs 12,020 crores respectively.
- Phase-I of Surat Metro Rail Project, with a total length of 40.35 kilometres comprises of two corridors.
- Length of Corridor-1 is 21.61 kilometres and Corridor-2 is 18.74 kilometres.
- The Corridor-1 is from Sarthana to Dream City, which comprises of 14 elevated stations and 6 underground stations with a depot at Dream City.
- The Corridor-2 is from Bhesan to Saroli, which comprises 18 elevated stations with a depot at Bhesan.
- The estimated completion cost of Surat Metro Rail project is Rs.12020 crore.
Narendra Modi – Foundation stone of Ahmedabad and Surat metro-rail projects.
14. Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare digitally chaired which edition of session of WHO Executive Board, through Video Conference?
Answer: E) 148th
- Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan digitally chaired the 148th session of the Executive Board of the World Health Organization through video conference.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan said that COVId-19 vaccines are being successfully produced across many countries and digital technologies are being adopted.
Health and Family Welfare, Science and Technology; and Earth Sciences:
Minister: Dr Harsh Vardhan
Constituency: Chandni Chowk, Delhi
Dr. Harsh Vardhan – Chair 148th session of Executive Board of WHO.
15. Which Minister launched the distribution of Solar Chulhas to poor households in Betul in Uttar Pradesh?
A) Health Minister
B) Finance Minister
C) Women & Child Development Minister
D) External Affairs Minister
E) Petroleum & Natural Gas and Steel Minister
Answer: E) Petroleum & Natural Gas and Steel Minister
- In line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision to increase the use of renewable energy and making India Atmanirbhar, two projects supported by Energy Maharatna ONGC for the welfare of people in Betul district of Madhya Pradesh were launched by Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas and Steel Dharmendra Pradhan.
- The Minister laid the foundation stone of a hostel-cum-training facility for farmers at Bharat Bharati Shiksha Samiti.
- He also launched the distribution of Solar Chulhas to poor households in Betul, which is being developed as a solar village.
- ONGC has got solar chulhas designed and developed through IIT Bombay, at an investment of around ninety lakh rupees.
- The Minister distributed 86 Solar PV Cook-Stove to poor households in the district: 74 were distributed to households of Bacha Gram Panchayat in Ghodadongri Tehsil of Baitul District, 12 in Jamthi village school.
- All the beneficiaries belonged to the poor and underprivileged section of the society.
The two-floor (G+1) hostel-cum-training facility:
- The two-floor (G+1) hostel-cum-training facility, being built at an investment of around three crore rupees, will be used to train poor farmers in organic farming.
- The structure is being built on a 3.45-acre land in the campus of Bharat Bharati Siksha Samiti.
- Around 15,000 to 20,000 poor farmers will benefit from this ONGC welfare project.
- The Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Steel Dharmendra Pradhan laid the foundation stone of this facility.
Petroleum and Natural Gas and Steel:
Minister: Dharmendra Pradhan
Constituency: Rajya Sabha MP, Madhya Pradesh
Shri Dharmendra Pradhan – Two welfare projects of ONGC at Betul in MP.
16. TRIFED and IFFDC have entered into a MoU to work together for tribal livelihood generation. What is the headquarters of TRIFED?
A) New Delhi, Delhi
B) Varanasi Uttar Pradesh
C) Bangalore, Karnataka
D) Hyderabad, Telangana
E) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Answer: A) New Delhi, Delhi
- TRIFED and Indian Farm Forestry Development Co-operative Ltd (IFFDC) have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to work together for tribal livelihood generation.
- Shri Pravir Krishna, Managing Director, TRIFED and Shri S. P. Singh, Managing Director, IIFDC signed the MoU in the presence of Shri Anupam Trivedi, ED, TRIFED,
Smt. Sangeeta Mahendra, ED (I/C), TRIFED, and Shri Dr Harish Chandra Gena, Chief Project Manager, IFFDC.
- The two organizations have agreed to partner with each other to organise training programmes for tribal artisans in the area of entrepreneurship skill and business development.
- They will also collaborate further to identify and implement CSR initiatives and tribal development efforts.
- Other areas of association have been identified through which IFFDC promoted PFFCS/SHGs/CBOs will be linked with TRIFED for collection and marketing of NTFPs/MFPs.
- IFFDC will also assist in promoting tribal FPOs and will provide trainings to TRIFED promoted/linked Community Organisations/Members.
- The scope of the agreement will also include any other activity that can be taken up to strengthen tribal livelihoods and entrepreneurship development.
TRIFED + IFFDC = Promote Livelihood Generation of Tribal People.
17. WE HUB partners with i-Hub to encourage start-ups. WE HUB is situated in which state?
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: A) Telangana
- WE HUB, India’s first state-led incubator to foster and promote women entrepreneurship set up by Telangana Government, has announced its partnership with i-Hub of Gujarat, to encourage and support start-ups in raising capital.
- An MoU was inked between Jayesh Ranjan, Principal Secretary, Industries and Information Technology Department, Telangana and Anju Sharma, Principal Secretary, Higher Education, Gujarat.
- This partnership will initiate pre-incubation program for 240 aspiring women entrepreneurs in the EdTech, MedTech and Fintech sectors in Telangana and Gujarat. Post 3 months of pre-incubation program, 20 entrepreneurs will be selected for the final virtual/physical co-incubation program.
CM: Vijay Rupani
Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat
CM: K. Chandrashekar Rao
Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
WE HUB, Telangana + i-Hub, Gujarat – To encourage and support start-ups.