Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
February 25 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. Ravichandran Ashwin is related to which sports?
Answer: E) Cricket
- Seasoned off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin went past Zaheer Khan’s tally of 597 international wickets to climb to the fourth spot on the list of Indian bowlers with the most wickets in international cricket.
- Ashwin dismissed Ollie Pope in the 28th over to overtake Zaheer’s tally at the Narendra Modi Stadium.
- Ashwin now has 599 wickets across formats and is only behind former skipper Anil Kumble (953), spinner Harbhajan Singh (707), and Kapil Dev (687).
- The off-spinner is also on the brink of becoming the fourth Indian bowler to take 400 Test wickets.
- Ashwin is just three wickets away from the glorious milestone in the longest format of the game.
- In the ongoing pink-ball Test, Ashwin along with Axar Patel spun a web as India bundled out England for a paltry 112 in the first innings.
- Axar, playing in just his second Test, scalped six wickets while Ashwin returned with three wickets as the visitors were bowled out in just 48.4 overs.
- This was Axar’s second five-wicket haul in a row as he had scalped five in the second innings of the second Test as well.
- Jack Leach (3), Stuart Broad (3), and Ben Foakes (12) all failed to stay at the crease for long and as a result, the hosts have given themselves the best possible chance to make this contest a one-sided affair.
- Meanwhile, India openers Rohit Sharma and Shubman Gill batted out five overs in the tricky twilight phase as the hosts went into the dinner break in the driver’s seat.
- Shaw becomes 8th Indian to score double ton in 50-over cricket.
- Prithvi Shaw became the eighth Indian player to score a double century in 50-over cricket.
- Shaw reached his 200 in just 142 runs playing for Mumbai against Puducherry in the Vijay Hazare Trophy at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium.
- He smashed as many as 27 fours and four sixes on his way to the landmark.
- Shaw’s Mumbai team mate and opening partner Yashasvi Jaiswal was the last Indian to score a double hundred in 50-over cricket.
- Jaiswal had scored 203 against Jharkhand during the 2019 Vijay Hazare Trophy in October 2019.
Ashwin – 4th highest wicket-taker for India with 599 wickets.
2. IOC President says which sports could be removed from Olympic programme by 2024?
Answerr: D) Weightlifting
- International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach has said that weightlifting could be removed from the Olympic programme by 2024, if the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) fails to implement reforms in the fight against doping.
- The IWF has been hit by doping scandals and accusations of corruption in recent years.
- Last October, the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) said that 18 weightlifters from six countries were suspected of supplying false urine samples as the agency found evidence of “doppelgangers” being used to impersonate athletes.
IOC President – Weightlifting could be removed from Olympic programme by 2024.
3. Singamaneni Narayana passed away. He was related to which field?
Answer: E) Writer
- Singamaneni Narayana, a well-known story writer with farmer’s soul who hailed from Anantapur, breathed his last after a prolonged age-related illness.
- In 2017, Andhra Pradesh government had honoured him with Kala Ratna Award and this is in addition to numerous others by prestigious literary organisations.
- Malayalam poet Vishnunarayanan Namboothiri passes away.
- Well-known poet Vishnunarayanan Namboothiri died here, family sources said.
- Namboothiri, 81, one of the widely acclaimed poets of contemporary Malayalam literature, was awarded the Padma Shri in 2014.
Singamaneni Narayana Rao – Noted story writer.
4. According to an IBM report, what is the rank of India in most attacked country by cyber criminals?
Answer: D) 2
- India was the second most attacked country by cyber criminals after Japan in
Asia Pacific in 2020, according to an IBM report released.
- In 2020, IBM Security X-Force observed attackers pivoting their attacks to businesses for which global COVID-19 response efforts heavily relied, such as hospitals, medical and pharmaceutical manufacturers, as well as energy companies powering the COVID-19 supply chain.
IBM report – Indians second-most attacked by cyber criminals after Japanese in Asia Pacific.
BANKING AND FINANCE
5. Which Bank and Shapoorji Pallonji Real Estate signed a MoU to enable an improved and more seamless experience for homebuyers across India?
Answer: E) SBI
- State Bank of India (SBI) and Shapoorji Pallonji Real Estate signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to enable an improved and more seamless experience for homebuyers across India.
- As part of the agreement, customers of SBI and Shapoorji Pallonji Real Estate will be able to avail the benefits of faster processing of home loans and approvals along with other unique value add schemes.
State Bank of India:
Capital: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Head: Dinesh Kumar Khara
Tagline : With You all the way, Pure Banking Nothing Else, The Nation Bank on Us, The Banker to Every Indian, A Bank of the Common Man.
SBI + Shapoorji Pallonji – Sign MoU to offer faster home loan approvals.
ACQUISITIONS AND MERGERS
6. The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has approved the acquisition of up to how much per cent stake in Max Life Insurance Company by Axis Bank?
Answer: D) 12
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has approved the acquisition of up to 12 per cent stake in Max Life Insurance Company by Axis Bank and its subsidiaries Axis Capital and Axis Securities.
- The IRDAI approval was an integral step in this long-awaited joint venture transaction which was first announced in April 2020.
- As per the proposed transaction, Axis entities have the right to acquire up to 19 per cent stake in Max Life of which Axis Bank proposes to acquire up to 9 per cent while Axis Capital and Axis Securities together propose to acquire up to 3 per cent in the first leg of the transaction.
- In addition, Axis entities have the right to acquire an additional stake of up to 7 per cent in Max Life in one or more tranches which they intend to acquire in the next few years.
- Max Life is the fourth largest private life insurer in India while Axis Bank is the third largest private bank.
- The two companies have shared a successful business relationship for over a decade, providing long-term saving and protection products to nearly 20 lakh customers.
IRDAI – Approve Axis entities’ stake acquisition in Max Life Insurance.
7. Natalia Vodianova became a United Nations goodwill ambassador. She was related to which country?
Answer: B) Russia
- Russian supermodel and philanthropist Natalia Vodianova became a United Nations goodwill ambassador, pledging to promote the sexual and reproductive rights of women and girls and tackle stigmas surrounding their bodies.
- She will be a campaigner for the U.N. Population Fund, which now calls itself the U.N.’s sexual and reproductive health agency, known as UNFPA.
Russian supermodel Natalia Vodianova – New UN goodwill ambassador.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
8. Mahindra University has launched an autonomous disinfecting robot named _____ disinfect rooms, labs, offices and shopfloors using ultraviolet rays?
Answer: E) MUDRA
- Mahindra University has launched an autonomous disinfecting robot MUDRA (Mahindra Universite UV Desinfectant Robot Autonome).
- The robot can disinfect rooms, labs, offices and shopfloors using ultraviolet rays.
- MUDRA can make on-demand and pre-planned disinfections without any human intervention.
- The robot has been specially designed to navigate autonomously on the floor without needing any extra infrastructure.
Mahindra University – Disinfecting robot MUDRA.
9. India and which Country have agreed to strictly observe all agreements on ceasefire along the Line of Control (LoC) and other sectors?
Answer: E) Pakistan
- India and Pakistan have agreed to strictly observe all agreements on ceasefire along the Line of Control (LoC) and other sectors.
- The decision on ceasefire, effective was taken at a meeting between the Director Generals of Military Operations (DGMOs) of India and Pakistan.
- The DGMOs held discussions over the established mechanism of hotline contact and reviewed the situation along the Line of Control and all other sectors in a “free, frank and cordial atmosphere.
- Both sides reiterated that existing mechanisms of hotline contact and border flag meetings will be utilised to resolve any unforeseen situation or misunderstanding.
Pakistan extends $50mn line of credit for defence to Sri Lanka:
- Pakistan has extended a $ 50 million line of credit for defence to Sri Lanka, a joint statement issued by the two sides, at the end of a two day visit to Colombo by Pakistan’s prime minister Imran Khan.
- During the visit, the Pakistani delegation also invited Colombo to use its Gwadar port – part of the multi-billion-dollar China-Pakistan-Economic Corridor (CPEC) — for trade with China and Central Asia.
President: Arif Alvi
Prime Minister: Imran Khan
India + Pakistan – Agree to follow all ceasefire agreements along LoC.
10. The Tamil Nadu government enhanced the retirement age of its employees including teachers and PSU staff to how many years?
Answer: E) 60
- The Tamil Nadu government enhanced the retirement age of its employees, including teachers and PSU staff, to 60 years.
- Chief Minister K Palaniswami who raised the retirement age of government employees by a year, made an announcement in the Assembly under rule 110 that the increase will apply to all serving government employees including government and aided educational institutions, PSUs and local bodies, and those who retire on May 31, 2021.
- In May last year, the CM had increased the retirement age of government employees to 59 from 58 years.
Tamil Nadu govt announces “all pass” for class 9, 10 and plus one students:
- Students of class 9, 10 and Plus One in Tamil Nadu will not have to take the exams, Chief Minister K Palaniswami announced in the assembly as he declared them “all pass” this academic year in view of the Coronavirus pandemic.
TN govt – Enhance retirement age of its employees to 60 years.
11. Who laid the foundation stone of Synthetic Athletic Track, Indira Gandhi Sports Complex in Puducherry?
A) Nirmala Sitharaman
B) Amit Shah
C) Rajnath Singh
D) Narendra Modi
E) Ramnath Kovind
Answer: D) Narendra Modi
PM Modi launches various projects in Puducherry:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a slew of completed projects here and laid the foundation stone for others, including in the ports and highways sectors.
- The Prime Minister inaugurated a Blood Centre at state-run JIPMER, a Sports Authority of India (SAI) girls hostel at Lawspet and a reconstructed Heritage Mairie Building.
- Modi laid the foundation stone for the four-laning of Sattanathapuram-Nagapattinam National Highway section, Medical College Building at Karaikal New Campus of JIPMER-Phase I and the development of Minor Port at Puducherry under Sagarmala scheme.
- He also laid the foundation stone of Synthetic Athletic Track, Indira Gandhi Sports Complex in the Union Territory.
PM Modi inaugurates various projects in poll-bound Tamil Nadu:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation key projects in Tamil Nadu, including the 2×500 mw Neyveli new thermal power plant, and laid the foundation stone for important initiatives in the state.
- The Neyveli project is a lignite based power plant designed for power generation capacity of 1000 MW with two units of 500 MW capacity each.
- The prime minister also inaugurated virtually a 709 MW solar power project of NLCIL and over 4,000 tenements in Tiruppur, Madurai and Tiruchirappalli, at an event attended by Governor Banwarilal Purohit, Chief Minister K Palaniswami and
deputy CM O Panneerselvam.
- Modi also laid the foundation stone for the extension, renovation and modernisation of Lower Bhavani Project System.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation for 5 MW solar power plant at VOC Port here through videoconferencing from Coimbatore.
- VOC Port has taken up installation of grid connected to the 25-acre power plant at a cost of ₹20 crore and the project is expected to be completed by August.
- The plant is estimated to generate 80.64 lakh units (KWH) per annum, meeting 60% of the total energy consumption of the port.
- In addition, it will also aid in reducing the carbon footprint in its operations.
- The Prime Minister also dedicated the eight-lane Korampallam bridge and rail overbridge near Tuticorin Thermal Power Station to the nation.
- The project was taken up at a cost of ₹42 crore as an initiative under the Union Government’s ‘Sagarmala’ programme.
- The existing bridge and rail overbridge have been widened on either side to 8.5metres for a length of 277 metre and the existing road leading to the bridge to 10.30 metres for a length of 1.577 km.
CM: V Narayanasamy
Governor: Kiran Bedi
Narendra Modi – Foundation stone of Synthetic Athletic Track, Indira Gandhi Sports Complex in Puducherry.
12. Which edition of Global Bio-India will be organised from 1st to 3rd March?
Answer: D) 2
- To showcase the strength and opportunities of the India’s biotechnology sector at national level and to the global community, the second edition of Global Bio-India will be organised from 1st to 3rd March.
- The theme for this year is Transforming lives and tag line Biosciences to Bioeconomy.
- cience and Technology Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan will inaugurate the event virtually.
- Global Bio-India is one of the largest biotechnology stakeholders’ conglomerates that is being co-organised by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology along with its Public Sector Undertaking, Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council, BIRAC in partnership with industry association CII, Association of Biotechnology Led Enterprises and Invest India
Dr Harsh Vardhan – 2nd edition of Global Bio-India to be organised from 1st to 3rd March.
13. Which edition of the India-USA Executive Steering Group meeting was held at New Delhi?
Answer: C) 24
- The 24th edition of the India-USA Executive Steering Group meeting was held at New Delhi from 22nd to 24th February.
- The meeting was attended by a 12-member delegation from the US Army in person and virtually by 40 officers from different locations from the US.
- Major General Daniel McDaniel, Deputy Commanding General, US Army Pacific was the Head of delegation from the US side. Indian Army delegation consisted of 37 officers.
- The forum is an Army-to-Army engagement that meets every year alternately in India and US to discuss Army to Army cooperation.
- A number of contemporary issues of mutual interests were discussed with an aim to enhance the engagements in diverse fields.
- For the first time the meeting was held both in person and through virtual mode owing to restrictions of COVID-19.
- Relevant issues of defence cooperation and common subjects of Interest were discussed between both sides during the meet.
New Delhi , Delhi – 24th edition of India-USA Executive Steering Group meeting.
14. SIDBI has entered into a MoU with which state to develop the MSME ecosystem in the State?
A) Tamil Nadu
C) West Bengal
D) Andhra Pradesh
E) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: D) Andhra Pradesh
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Government of Andhra Pradesh to develop the MSME ecosystem in the State.
- Under the agreement, a Project Management Unit (PMU) will be deployed by SIDBI to design schemes/programmes in the areas of equity support, interest subvention, resolution of stressed MSMEs, and facilitate intervention based on evaluation of the existing status of MSMEs
- The PMU will study the existing framework of schemes currently available for MSMEs in the State and shall suggest modifications, if any, to enhance efficacy.
Social Alpha, SIDBI join hands to launch a fund for startups in assistive technology space:
- Social Alpha and Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) have partnered up to set up the Swavalamban Divyangjan Assistive Tech Market Access (ATMA) fund, an inclusion fund offering financial grants to Social Alpha-incubated startups working in the Assistive Technology sector.
- Each startup working in this space will have access to implementation support of up to ₹20 lakh.
- The fund will finance up to 50 per cent of the product price for the initial users.
Hq: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
MD and Chairman: Mohammad Mustafa
Capital: Visakhapatnam (executive), Amaravati (legislative), Kurnool (judicial)
CM: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
SIDBI + Andhra Pradesh govt – Support MSMEs.