Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
July 24 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. Income Tax Day is observed on which date?
A) July 20
B) July 24
C) July 15
D) July 23
E) July 17
Answer: B) July 24
- The Income Tax department marked as the 161th Income Tax Day or Aaykar Diwas.
July 24 has been celebrated as the Income Tax Day in India since 2010.
- I-T department decided in 2010 to mark July 24 as the day for the annual celebration to mark 150 years of this levy from that year onwards.
- Income tax was first levied as a duty in the year 1860 and the authority to levy that duty came into force on July 24 of that year.
Income Tax Day – Significance and History:
- On July 24, 1860, income tax was introduced in India by Sir James Wilson to compensate the British government for the losses incurred during the First War of Independence in 1857.
2. Who has named Differently Abled Sportsman of the Year at Indian Sports Honour for 2019?
A) Saina Nehwal
B) Pramod Bhagat
C) Mithali Raj
D) Mary Kom
E) Milkha Singh
Answer: B) Pramod Bhagat
- World No. 1 para shuttler Pramod Bhagat was named Differently Abled Sportsman of the Year at Indian Sports Honour for 2019.
- Bhagat, who won two gold medals and a bronze at the Dubai Para-Badminton Tournament this year, will be participating in singles and mixed doubles events at the Paralympics which opens in Tokyo from August 24.
- Indian Sports Honours are awards given annually by the RPSG Group in association with the Virat Kohli Foundation to outstanding sports personalities of India.
- The awards were founded in 2017.
3. Who became only the third Indian to win a men’s singles match at an Olympics edition and the first in 25 years?
A) Prajnesh Gunneswaran
B) Vijay Amritraj
C) Sumit Nagal
D) Rohan Bopanna
E) Mahesh Bhupati
Answer: C) Sumit Nagal
- Sumit Nagal became only the third Indian to win a men’s singles match at an Olympics edition and the first in 25 years, when he edged past Denis Istomin in a three-setter at the Tokyo Games.
- Nagal got the better of Istomin 6-4 6-7(6) 6-4 in two hours and 34 minutes on court 10 at the Ariake Tennis Centre to set up a second round with world number two Daniil Medvedev.
- Zeeshan Ali was the first Indian to win a singles match at the 1988 Seoul Games when he beat Victo Caballero from Paraguay.
- After that, the legendary Leander Paes won the historic men’s singles bronze at the 1996 Atlanta Games, beating Brazil’s Fernando Meligeni.
- The final set was on serve till Nagal got the decisive break. Nagal now faces a herculean task as he faces Australian Open runner-up Medvedev, who beat Kazakhstan’s Alexander Bubilk 6-4 7-6(8).
4. Mirabai Chanu becomes first Indian weightlifter to which category to win silver medal in Olympics?
Answer: E) 49kg
- Mirabai Chanu ended India’s 21-year wait for a weightlifting medal at the Olympics by clinching a silver medal in the 49kg category to open the country’s account.
- The 26-year-old lifted a total of 202kg (87kg+115kg) to better Karnam Malleswari’s bronze in the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
- With this, she exorcised the ghosts of the 2016 Games where she had failed to log a single legitimate lift.
- The gold went to China’s Hou Zhihui with an effort of 210kg (94kg+116kg) , while Aisah Windy Cantika of Indonesia took home the bronze with an effort of 194kg (84kg+110kg).
5. Nivedita Karki claims gold at Youth National Boxing Championships. He was related to which state?
D) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: E) Uttarakhand
- Uttarakhand’s Nivedita Karki stunned reigning youth World champion Gitika of Haryana 3-2 in the 48kg final to clinch the gold at the youth National boxing championships.
Haryana and Services Sports Control Board (SSCB) retained the men’s and women’s team championships.
- Haryana women claimed 12 medals, including seven gold and five silver while the SSCB men finished on top in the men’s event with 10 medals — seven gold and three silver.
- Haryana’s Tamanna outboxed Rajasthan’s Anjali Choudhary 5-0 in 50kg final. Neha (54kg), Preeti (57kg), Preeti Dahiya (60kg), Lashu Yadav (70kg), Khushi (63kg) and Deepika (+81) were the other gold medallists for Haryana in the women’s category.
- Meanwhile, Haryana men finished second with four gold and five silver medals.
- Bishwamitra Chongtham led the glorious run for SSCB in the men’s event as he blanked Himachal Pradesh’s Abhinav Katoch 5-0 in the 51kg final.
- Vishwanath Suresh (48kg), Vicktor Singh Shaikom (54kg), Vijay Singh (57kg), Ravichandra Singh (60kg), Jaydeep Rawat (71kg) and Deepak (75kg) were the others who claimed gold.
6. Folk music legend Fakir Alamgir passed away. He was related to which country?
Answer: B) Bangladesh
- Bangladeshi folk music legend Fakir Alamgir died due to Covid-19 at a hospital.
- He worked with Swadhin Bangla Betar Kendra during the Liberation War and founded the cultural organization “Wrishiz Shilpi Gosthi” in 1976.
- He also served as the president of Gono Sangeet Shamanya Parishad (GSSP).
- As a writer, Alamgir published his first book ‘Chena China’ in 1984. His next two publications were Muktijuddher Smriti Bijoyer Gaan and Gono Sangeeter Otit O Bortoman.
- IN 2013, he published three books – Amar Kotha, Jara Achhen Hridoy Potey and Smriti Alaponey Muktijuddho. So far, Alamgir authored nine books.
- The noted singer was awarded different awards, including Ekushey Padak, Bhashani Padak and Sequence Award of Honour.
7. Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar was conferred with the prestigious Alexander Dalrymple award by which country?
Answer: D) UK
- India’s chief hydrographer Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar was conferred with the prestigious Alexander Dalrymple award by the British government in recognition of his works in areas of hydrography and nautical cartography.
- Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar was conferred with the award in 2019 but the award ceremony was delayed due to the ongoing Covid pandemic.
- The Alexander Dalrymple award has been named after the first hydrographer of the Admiralty and was instituted in 2006.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
8. NASA awards how much amount Jupiter moon mission contract to Elon Musk’s SpaceX?
A) $138 million
B) $148 million
C) $158 million
D) $168 million
E) $178 million
Answer: E) $178 million
- NASA selected Elon Musk’s SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket to launch its scientific probe of the Jupiter moon Europa, which has liquid oceans that could harbor life.
- The contract for the Europa Clipper mission, scheduled to launch in October 2024, is worth $178 million.
- The moon is approximately 390 million miles (630 million kilometers) from Earth, with the journey expected to take more than five years.
- Europa is among NASA’s top scientific efforts, given the enormous amount of saltwater that lies below its icy surface.
- The Europa Clipper spacecraft will produce high-resolution images of the surface, determine the moon’s composition and scan for geologic activity.
9. India, which country ink pact for community projects?
Answer: C) Maldives
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and his Maldivian counterpart Abdulla Shahid signed an agreement on India-funded community projects in the Maldives after they held wide-ranging talks covering a range of bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interests.
- The Maldivian leader, who was elected as the President of the UN General Assembly last month, arrived in India on Wednesday on a three-day visit.
- The external affairs minister described the meeting as ”warm” and promised India’s fullest support to his presidency of the UN General Assembly.
10. Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced to increase the rate of dearness allowance from 17 per cent to how much per cent?
Answer: E) 28
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced to increase the rate of dearness allowance from 17 per cent to 28 per cent.
- The increase in dearness allowance will be applicable from July 1.
- The increased dearness allowance also includes the DA payable from January 1, 2020, July 1, 2020 and January 1, 2021, he said.
- It will benefit about 2.85 lakh government employees and 2.62 lakh pensioners of the state, the spokesperson said.
- It will put an additional burden of about Rs 210 crore per month on the state exchequer.
11. Which state government has inked an agreement with the Indian Institute of Management Shillong here to foster better financial and policy management aimed at improving livelihoods?
D) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: D) Arunachal Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh government has inked an agreement with the Indian Institute of Management Shillong here to foster better financial and policy management aimed at improving livelihoods.
- Arunachal Pradesh chief secretary Naresh Kumar and IIM Shillong director DP Goyal signed the MoU in the presence of Chief Minister Pema Khandu.
- The IIM Shillong will organise managerial capacity building programmes for the newly recruited officers of Arunachal Pradesh and the MoU laid major emphasis on establishing a satellite or an extension knowledge centre of IIM Shillong at Itanagar.
12. NITI AAYOG join hands with which organisation for successful implementation of Van DhanYojana in Tribal Clusters of Aspirational Districts of India?
Answer: D) TRIFED
- Keeping in line with the Prime Minister’s call for “Atmanirbhar Bharat” aligned to the slogan of “Be Vocal for Local Buy Tribal”, towards realizing the goal of “SabkaSaath, SabkaVikas”, TRIFED is collaborating with NITI Aayog to implement the Van DhanYojana in the districts that have been identified as aspirational districts by NITI Aayog.
- As a follow-up for the implementation of the Van DhanYojana in the Tribal Aspirational Districts, TRIFED team briefed about the Van DhanYojana to the DMs/DCs of aspirational districts in a meeting on July 23, 2021 chaired by Shri Amitabh Kant, CEO, NitiAayog
- The Van Dhan tribal start-ups and the Mechanism for Marketing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) Through Minimum Support Price (MSP) & Development of Value Chain for MFP’ Scheme that provides MSP to gatherers of forest produces and introduce value addition and marketing through tribal groups and clusters are among the many initiatives of TRIFED, Ministry of Tribal Affairs that have proved helpful by generating employment and income for the tribal population.
- These initiatives, spearheaded by TRIFED, exemplify MFP-led Tribal Development in Mission Mode. Tribals have been made legal owners of MFP in their areas.
- Minimum Support Price (MSP) has been announced for several MFPs. Under the program the processing and value-addition to MFP will be done in a well-equipped common facility centres which are to be called Van DhanVikas Kendra.
- As per TRIFED , 37,904 Van DhanVikasKendras (VDVKs), subsumed into 2275Van DhanVikas Kendra Clusters (VDVKCs) of 300 forest dwellers each, have been sanctioned by TRIFED as of date.
- A typical Van DhanVikas Kendra includes 20 tribal members.
- 15 such Van DhanVikasKendras form 1 Van DhanVikas Kendra cluster.
- The Van DhanVikas Kendra Clusters will provide the Van DhanVikasKendras economies of scale, livelihood and market-linkages, as well as entrepreneurship opportunities to nearly 6.77 lakh Tribal forest gatherers in 27 states and 2 UTs.
- 50 lakh tribals have been impacted by the Van Dhan start-ups programme up until now.
This plan has proved to be a boon during the pandemic times with dwindling livelihoods for the marginalised.
- With good planning and implementation, TRIFED and its State Agency partners in 27 states, have brought about a paradigm shift in the program outcomes.
- TRIFED’s Van DhanYojana is in different stages of implementation in the 124 districts which have been declared as Aspirational Districts. In these districts the classification has been done based on the percentage of tribal population as well as the economic feasibility of formation of VDVKCs in the district.
- TRIFED is already working in 65 Aspirational Districts where 521 Van Dhan Clusters (VDVKCs) have been sanctioned involving 1.55 lakhs tribal beneficiaries.
- This can be extended to all tribal clusters of Aspirational districts.
- Out of the 41 aspirational districts under Category I with Tribal Population more than 50%, VDVKCs are sanctioned in 39 aspirational districts which includes districts in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Odisha, Telangana and Tripura.
- The collaboration and partnership with NITI Aayog along with the support of the collectors and other district officials is aimed at a complete transformation of the tribal ecosystem across the country.