Daily Current Affairs January 1
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.,
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
January 01 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. Global Family Day is observed on which date?
A) January 1
B) January 2
C) January 3
D) January 4
E) January 5
Answer: A) January 1
- Global Family Day is an annual observance that aims at promoting the idea that the Earth is one Global family and we should live in peace.
- We should love and care for everyone as our own family member.
- In November 1997, the UN General Assembly made a declaration that the first year of the new millennium should see the launch of an International Decade for the Culture of Peace and Non-violence for the Children of the World and that the decade should be ushered in by “One Day of Peace”.
- In 2001 the United Nations established this Observance as an annual event.
2. Leon Mendonca became 67th chess Grandmaster of India. He was related to which state?
D) Tamil Nadu
E) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: A) Goa
- Leon Mendonca became India’s 67th chess Grandmaster by winning his third and final norm in a tournament in Italy.
- He is the second GM from Goa.
- Between March and December, Mendonca played in 16 tournaments and improved to 2544 from an ELO rating of 2452 points.
Leon Mendonca – India’s 67th chess Grandmaster.
3. Colonel Narinder ‘Bull’ Kumar passed away. In below option, which award is not won by him?
A) Padma Bhushan
B) Kirti Chakra
C) Ati Vishisht Seva Medal
D) Param Vishisht Seva Medal
E) Mac Gregor Medal
Answer: A)Padma Bhushan
- Colonel Narinder ‘Bull’ Kumar (Retd.,) instrumental in the Army launching Operation Meghdoot and securing the dominating heights of Siachen Glacier in 1984, died.
- An avid mountaineer, he was the first Indian to climb Mt. Nanda Devi. He climbed Mt. Everest in 1965, Mt. Blanc (The highest peak in the Alps) and later Mt. Kangchenchanga from the toughest North East spur.
- Col. Kumar was awarded Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award, in 1965. He was decorated with Param Vishisht Seva Medal (PVSM), Kirti Chakra and Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM).
- He is also a recipient of the Mac Gregor Medal awarded to armed forces personnel for valuable military reconnaissance.
The battalion headquarters on the glacier located close to an altitude of 16,000 feet is named “Kumar post” in his honor.
Colonel Narinder ‘Bull’ Kumar – The Soldier Mountaineer.
4. Challa Ramakrishna Reddy passed away. He was related to which party?
Answer: A) YSRCP
- Senior YSR Congress Party member of Andhra Pradesh legislative council Challa Ramakrishna Reddy died.
- Reddy began his political career in Congress party.
- He won the assembly elections for the first time in 1983 from Panyam constituency in Kurnool.
- Though he lost the assembly elections in 1989 and Lok Sabha elections in 1991, he bounced back with two back-to-back wins in 1999 and 2004 from Koilkuntla constituency.
- In 2009, he contested from Banaganapalle constituency and lost to Praja Rajyam Party candidate.
- In 2014, he joined the TDP but lost the election again. He was later appointed as the State Civil Supplies Corporation Chairman.
- Before the 2019 assembly elections, he joined the YSRCP.
Founded Year: 2011
Abbreviation: Yuvajana Sramika Rythu Congress Party
President : Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
BANKING AND FINANCE
5. What is the interest rate of Public Provident Fund (PPF) in Q4?
Answer: C) 7.1%
Public Provident Fund (PPF):
- Public Provident Fund (PPF) is a tax-free saving scheme regulated by the Indian Government.
- It is a long-term investment scheme with a lock-in period of 15 years.
- The interest rate is set and paid by the government for every quarter Current Interest Rate – 7.1%.
National Savings Certificate (NSC):
- The National Savings Certificate is a fixed income investment scheme that you can open with any post office.
- A Government of India initiative, it is a savings bond that encourages subscribers – mainly small to mid-income investors – to invest while saving on income tax.
- A fixed-income instrument like Public Provident Fund and Post Office FD’s, this scheme too is a secure and low-risk product.
- They come with a fixed maturity period of five years.
- There is no maximum limit on the purchase of NSCs, but only investments of up to Rs.1.5 lakh can earn you a tax break under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act.
- Interest Rate: 6.8% per annum.
Five-Year Senior Citizens Savings Scheme:
- Senior Citizens Savings Scheme (SCSS) is a government-backed savings instrument offered to Indian residents aged over 60 years.
- The deposit matures after 5 years from the date of account opening but can be extended once by an additional 3 years.
- Deposit Limit : Rs.1000 – Rs. 15 Lakh (Multiple of 1000).
- Investments made in a Senior Citizen Savings Scheme account qualify for income tax deduction benefit up to Rs. 1.5 Lakh under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- Interest Rate: 7.4 %.
- A savings account is an interest-bearing deposit account held at a bank or other financial institution.
- Interest Rate: 4 Per cent Per annum.
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana:
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) is a small deposit scheme for the girl child launched as a part of the ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ campaign.
- Investment Amount : Rs 250 – Rs. 1.5 Lakh.
- It comes with a maximum tax benefit of Rs 1.5 lakh under section 80C of the Income-tax Act.
- Mature Period: 21 Years.
- Interest Rate: 7.6 %.
- According to the rules, the following people are eligible to open a Sukanya Samriddhi account.
a) Age of girl child should not exceed 10 years.
b) She should be a resident citizen of India.
c) Account cannot be opened for more than two girl children in a single family.
Kisan Vikas Patra:
- Kisan Vikas Patra is a certificate scheme from the Indian post office.
- Maturity Period: 124 Months.
- The minimum investment is Rs. 1000 and there is no upper limit.
- KVP is available in denominations of Rs. 1000, Rs. 5000, Rs. 10,000 and also Rs. 50,000 for investment.
- Denominations of Rs. 50,000 are available only at the head post office of a city.
- It doesn’t come under the 80C deductions, and the returns are completely taxable.
- Interest Rate: 6.9 %.
Other Interest Rates:
- Term deposits of 1-5 years – 5.5-6.7 % Quarterly.
- Five-year recurring deposit – 5.8 per cent.
6. ADB partners with India sign how much amount loan to support project preparation to expand horticulture in Himachal Pradesh?
A) $40 Million
B) $30 Million
C) $10 Million
D) $20 Million
E) $15 Million
Answer: C) $10 Million
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $10 million project readiness financing (PRF) to help finance piloting activities and design and capacity building for an ensuing project that aims to expand horticulture production and farm household income in the hill state of Himachal Pradesh.
Asian Development Bank:
Member Countries: 68
Founded Year : 1966
Headquarters: Manila, Philippines
Head : Masatsugu Asakawa
Capital : Shimla
CM : Jai Ram Thakur
Governor : Bandaru Dattatreya
ADB + India = $10 million loan to support project preparation to expand horticulture in Himachal Pradesh.
7. Chief of Army Staff General MM Naravane has received a Guard of Honour by which country Army?
B) Republic of Korea
Answer: B) Republic of Korea
- Chief of Army Staff General MM Naravane has received a Guard of Honour at Republic of Korea Army Headquarters at Gyeryong.
- He called on General Nam Yeong shin, Chief of Staff of Korean Army and discussed issues of bilateral defence cooperation.
- The Army chief visited the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) near the border with North Korea.
- General Naravane visited the 30th Armoured Brigade and DMZ.
- During his three day visit, he met senior military and civilian leadership of the Republic of Korea and discussed avenues for enhancing defence relations between the two countries.
MM Naravane – Receive Guard of Honour at ROK Army Headquarters.
8. India will begin two-year tenure as a non-permanent member of UNSC. How many Permanent Member countries in UNSC?
Answer: C) 5
- India, which has been at the forefront of the years-long efforts to reform the UN Security Council, will begin its two-year tenure as a non-permanent member of UNSC.
- India will sit in the 15-nation United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for the 2021-22 term as a non-permanent member – the eighth time that the country has had a seat on the powerful horseshoe table.
Abbreviation: United Nations Security Council
Formation : 1945
Member Countries: 15 countries
Headquarters: New York, United States
|Permanent members||Non-permanent members|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
India – Begin its two-year tenure as non-permanent member of UNSC.
9. Which state has sanctioned 12 new projects worth Rs 7,295.25 lakh under Remunerative Approach for Agriculture and Allied sector Rejuvenation?
B) Uttar Pradesh
D) Madhya Pradesh
E) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: A) Odisha
- In a step towards sustainable agriculture and doubling of farmers’ income, the Odisha government sanctioned 12 new projects worth Rs 7,295.25 lakh under Remunerative Approach for Agriculture and Allied sector Rejuvenation.
- These projects would be financed both by the Central and state governments on a 60 : 40 sharing basis.
- The committee also considered and approved the Annual Action Plan (APP) of Rs 9136 lakh under different sub-schemes like Bringing Green Revolution to Eastern India (Rs 8884 lakh), Reclamation of Problematic Soils ( Rs 250 lakh) and Crop diversification Programme ( Rs 1.960 lakh).
Capital : Bhubaneswar
Chief Minister – Naveen Patnaik
Governor – Ganeshi Lal
Odisha – Sanction 12 new projects worth Rs 73 crore for agriculture sector.
10. Which company has delivered to the Indian Navy the last of the eight landing craft utility (LCU) ships providing a major boost to the country’s Defence preparedness?
B) L & T
Answer: A) GRSE
Abbreviation: Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd.,
Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal
Chairman & MD : Vipin Kumar Saxena
GRSE – Deliver eighth landing craft utility ship to Indian Navy.
11. Which state launched a “Paint My City” campaign ahead of the Kumbh Mela?
A) Uttar Pradesh
C) Madhya Pradesh
E) Tamil Nadu
Answer: B) Uttarakhand
- Cabinet Minister Madan Kaushik launched a “Paint My City” campaign here ahead of the Kumbh Mela.
- Walls in the mela area and other places of tourist interest in the city will be painted with pictures from the Hindu mythology and depiction of the culture of Kumaon and Garhwal regions of Uttarakhand to make the event more attractive.
Capital : Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer)
CM : Trivendra Singh Rawat
Governor : Baby Rani Maurya
Uttarakhand – Launch ‘Paint My City’ drive ahead of Kumbh.
12. Indian Air Force Chief Air Marshal R K S Bhadauria launched the IAF
e-Governance (e-Office) portal in New Delhi. He was ____ Indian Air Force Chief?
Answer: B) 26
R K S Bhadauria – Launch IAF e-Governance (e-Office) portal in New Delhi.
13. Uttar Pradesh will launch Swami Vivekananda Etihasik Paryatan Yatra Yojana to fund laborer’s pilgrimage. How much amount transfers under this scheme?
A) Rs 10,000
B) Rs 11,000
C) Rs 12,000
D) Rs 13,000
E) Rs 15,000
Answer: C) Rs 12,000
- The Yogi government is all set to launch Swami Vivekananda Etihasik Paryatan Yatra Yojana, a scheme under which money will be transferred to the accounts of those laborer who would like to go on pilgrimage.
- The scheme will be launched on January 24, the foundation day of Uttar Pradesh.
- Under it, an amount of Rs 12,000 would be transferred to the account of each of the selected number of laborer employed across around 6.5 lakh commercial setups and 20,500 factories and workshops in the state to undertake the journey to religious places.
- The UP government this year will start two more schemes — one named after former India cricketer Chetan Chauhan to encourage sporting activities among labourers and the other named after famous litterateur Mahadevi Verma to help poor students purchase books.
Capital : Lucknow
CM : Yogi Adityanath
Governor : Anandiben Patel
Uttar Pradesh – Launch scheme to fund labourers’ pilgrimage.
14. Which state will set up a memorial in honour of all the Covid Warriors who sacrificed their lives fighting the deadly virus?
C) Andhra Pradesh
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: A) Odisha
- The Odisha government will set up a memorial in honour of all the Covid Warriors who sacrificed their lives fighting the deadly virus.
- The memorial will carry the names of all the martyred Covid Warriors to keep their memory alive.
- The state government has decided to construct a memorial in the capital Bhubaneswar to immortalize the sacrifice of these Covid Warriors.
Capital : Bhubaneswar
Chief Minister – Naveen Patnaik
Governor – Ganeshi Lal
Odisha – Set up memorial to honour departed COVID warriors.