Daily Current Affairs February 17
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs February 17. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
February 17 | Daily Current Affairs 2022
Sports – Daily Current Affairs February 17
1. Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre lifts 15th CEC Cup Men’s Ice Hockey Championship 2022:
- HG Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre, LSRC, has lifted the 15th CEC Cup Men’s Ice Hockey Championship – 2022.
- In NDS Indoor Ice Hockey rink, LSRC beat Indo Tibetan Border Police, ITBP by 3-2 goals.
- Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Leh Chief Executive Councilor & Chairman TashiGyaltson presented the prizes to the winners.
Obituary – Daily Current Affairs February 17
2. Former India midfielder and East Bengal legend SurajitSengupta dies:
- Former India midfielder & East Bengal legend Surajit Sengupta, who mesmerized Kolkata Maidan with his dribbling skills in the 1970s, died.
- He made his International debut on July 24, 1974 against Thailand in the Merdeka Cup in Kuala Lumpur and went on to represent India in 14 matches.
- He represented India in the Asian Games in 1974 and 1978, the Merdeka Cup in 1974, the President’s Cup in 1977 and in international friendlies against UAE and Bahrain(1979).
- He scored his lone international goal against Kuwait in the 1978 Asian Games.
- From there on, Sengupta went on to represent the Big Three clubs of the Kolkata Maidan starting with Mohun Bagan under the guidance of Sailen Manna.
- He played for Mohun Bagan for two seasons from 1972 and in 1974, he made the red-and-gold his home for six consecutive years and became their captain in 1978.
- He scored 92 goals for East Bengal and helped the iconic club win the Calcutta League in 1974, 1975, 1977, DCM Trophy in 1974, IFA shield in 1974, 1975, 1976 (joint-winners), Darjeeling Gold Cup in 1976 (joint winners), Federation Cup in 1978 (joint-winners), Rovers Cup in 1975, Durand Cup and Bordoloi Trophy in 1978.
- For the Mariners, he scored 54 goals and helped them win Rovers Cup in 1972 (joint-winners) and 1981, Federation Cup in 1981 and 1982, SaitNagjee Trophy in 1981, Durand Cup in 1982 (joint-winners), Darjeeling Gold Cup in 1982 (joint-winners) and Calcutta League in 1983.
- He signed up for Mohammedan Sporting in 1980 and after one season, he returned to Mohun Bagan at the fag end of his career where he played for another three years.
- Sengupta was also part of the triumphant Bengal Santosh Trophy squads in 1975, 1976, 1977 and 1978, and scored 26 goals.
- Sengupta was conferred Lifetime Achievement Award by East Bengal in 2018.
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs February 17
3. Visa, Amazon announce worldwide payment agreement:
- Visa Inc. and Amazon.com Inc. announced an agreement that allows customers to use Visa cards on Amazon sites worldwide without additional fees.
- Last year, Amazon started charging customers in Australia and Singapore who use Visa credit cards a 0.5 % surcharge.
- Under the agreement, Amazon’s amazon.co.uk site in Britain will no longer turn off Visa credit cards.
- Customers in Australia and Singapore will no longer pay the surcharge for using Visa.
- Last month, Amazon’s British website backed away from plans to stop accepting Visa credit cards issued in the United Kingdom, saying the two sides were talking.
- Amazon had announced the move in November, blaming “the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions”.
- Any credit card transaction involves various fees, such as an “interchange fee” that the shopper’s bank pays to the retailer’s bank and other costs like service and technology charges.
- It wasn’t clear which fee was the focus of the UK dispute.
4. NPCI International, Gateway Payment Service &Manam Infotech join hands:
- NPCI International Payments Limited has joined hands with Gateway Payments Service Pvt Ltd, and Manam Infotech Private Limited to deploy UPI in Nepal.
- Nepal shall be the first country outside of India to adopt UPI as the payments platform driving the digitalization of cash transactions and furthering the vision and objectives of the Nepal Government and Nepal Rastra Bank as the Central bank.
- It will enable the way forward for real-time cross-border P2P remittances between Nepal and India.
- NIPL: The International arm of National Payments Corporation of India.
- Gateway Payments Service Pvt Ltd: Authorized Payment System Operators in Nepal.
5. PNB MetLife launches systematic savings solution Guaranteed Goal Plan:
- PNB MetLife has launched PNB MetLife Guaranteed Goal Plan, a savings-oriented life insurance plan that offers guaranteed returns and allows customization of savings schedules.
- Duration of premium payment from a single premium all the way up to 12 years.
- It offers life insurance cover till maturity, waiver of premium on death or diagnosis of critical illness and the option of accidental death and critical illness coverage: range of choices to safeguard the wellbeing of loved ones against uncertainties.
- Lumpsum Option: Guaranteed maturity benefit will be payable at the maturity date.
- Income + Lumpsum Option: Guaranteed survival benefit will be payable every year post the completion of the premium payment term along with a guaranteed maturity benefit on the maturity date.
- Pay as you like: Choose to pay for 5, 7, 10 or 12 years for either of the plan options or choose a single premium with the lump sum option and the option of Joint Life available under the single premium payment option only.
Additional benefits to boost corpus:
- Guaranteed addition of 5% of Total Annualized premium paid till date gets accrued every year during premium payment term.
- Wealth Additions ranging from 3.2% to 9% of Total Annualized Premium paid till date get accrued or paid every year after premium payment term1
- Higher Benefits for higher premium payment Protection: Safeguard against uncertainties
- In this Goal Plan, A person aged 40 years investing ₹1 lakh in income lump sum option for a premium payment term of 12 years, will start receiving a guaranteed survival benefit payout of Rs1,61,938 from the end of the 13th policy year till the end of the policy term along with a lump sum payout of 2,50,840 at maturity.
- The benefits in this plan are tax-free subject to provisions and conditions of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs February 17
6. Govt appoints first national maritime security coordinator:
- GoI has appointed Vice Admiral (retd) G Ashok Kumar as India’s first national maritime security coordinator (NMSC) with a mandate to ensure cohesion among various key stakeholders with an overall objective to strengthen the country’s maritime security.
- Last year, the Cabinet Committee on Security had cleared the proposal for the creation of the post.
- Kumar is a former Navy vice chief, is seen as part of India’s consistent efforts to bolster its maritime security following the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack 14 years back
- The NMSC works in coordination with the National Security Council Secretariat headed by NSA AjitDoval.
Awards – Daily Current Affairs February 17
7. Karnataka Bank bags three banking tech awards:
- Karnataka Bank has bagged three awards at the 17th Annual Banking Technology Conference and Awards: 2020-21 Next Gen Banking, instituted by Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
- The bank has won the awards under categories:
- Best Technology Bank of the Year
- Best Fintech Adoption
- Best Use of AI/ML & Data Analytics – all runner-ups.
Science and Technology – Daily Current Affairs February 17
8. NavarsEdutech to launch 100 satellite constellations in the next 5 years in collaboration with Skyroot Aerospace:
- Hyderabad-based space startup “NavarsEdutech” envisages launching 100 student-developed satellites constellation with Skyroot Aerospace as a launch partner in the next 5 years.
- This partnership enables NavarsEdutech to become India’s first Space Education startup for K12 students to design and launch satellites to space, using an indigenously developed private launch vehicle of Skyroot Aerospace.
- With a mission to take the first set of Satellites to LEO (Low Earth Orbit) with Skyroot’s maiden launch Vikram-I in December-2022, students will develop the intended satellite constellations for astronomical observations.
- Navars will lead this EdTech transformation for the first time in the country at the school level.
- It is a leading Astronomy & Space education company with a primary focus to drive awareness and education through engagement and innovation by offering real-life experience through live content, software tools, hardware kits, and experiences among K12 students.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs February 17
9. India, Germany sign Work Plan 2022 to strengthen infrastructure, reduce trade barriers:
- The 8th Annual Meeting of the Indo-German Working Group on Quality Infrastructure, led by the Indian Ministry for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy was held virtually.
- The Working Group has met annually since 2013 and identifies areas of cooperation to support and strengthen quality infrastructure.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs February 17
10. 4 police stations in Delhi get FSSAI’s ‘eat right’ certificate:
- The four police stations in Delhi, have become the first in the city to get the FSSAI’s ‘eat right campus’ certificate that aims to promote diet diversity & reduce burden of lifestyle-related diseases.
- A large-scale training and infrastructural change drive was carried out across all police stations in the city and 4 of them were able to meet the benchmark.
- The certificates were issued to the police stations of B K Road, Connaught Place, Tilak Marg and Mandir Marg.
- Delhi Food Safety Commissioner Neha Bansal presented the certificates to the Commissioner of Police during the raising day function of Delhi Police.
- The Delhi government’s Department of Food Safety is working in mission mode under its flagship programme – ‘Sehatmand Delhi’ to identify campuses that can be recognised under the ‘eat right campus’ initiative of the FSSAI.
Eat right India:
- It is a flagship mission of the Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) under the health ministry.
11. SIDBI ties up with Bihar govt to promote MSME sector in state:
- SIDBI has tied up with the Government of Bihar to promote the micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) sector in the state.
- MOU have been signed between SIDBI and the industries department, Government of Bihar & Bihar Industrial Area Development Authority (BIADA) to develop the MSME ecosystem in the state.
- Under the first MoU with Bihar’s industry department, project management units (PMUs) will be deployed by SIDBI with the state government.
- It will support the state government in making necessary interventions for focused engagement of SIDBI to facilitate development of the MSME ecosystem in the state.
- According to the 2nd MoU, SIDBI will work in close coordination with BIADA to benefit MSMEs who want to set up any industrial unit on the land/ plot allotted by BIADA so as to promote industrialisation in the state.
- Syed Shahnawaz Hussain, Minister of Industries, Bihar; Brijesh Mehrotra, additional chief secretary, Bihar; and Pradeep Kumar Jha, branch in-charge of SIDBI Patna.
- Bihar is the 14th state of the country with which SIDBI has tied up and it will play an important role in strengthening the MSMEs of the state.
12. SarbanandaSonowal flags-off Water Taxi Service in Mumbai from Belapur Jetty:
- Union Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways & AYUSH SarbanandaSonowal virtually flagged off the “Water Taxi” for citizens of Mumbai, from Belapur Jetty.
- CM of Maharashtra, Udhav Thackeray presided over the function & inaugurated the newly constructed Belapur Jetty.
Water Taxi Service:
- The Water Taxi service will connect the twin cities of Mumbai and Navi Mumbai for the first time.
- It will commence from the Domestic Cruise Terminal (DCT) & will also connect nearby locations at Nerul, Belapur, Elephanta island, and JNPT.
- It will give huge impetus to the tourism sector, especially travel to the historic Elephanta caves from Navi Mumbai.
- The newly constructed Belapur jetty, built at a cost of Rs. 8.37 crore was funded in the 50-50 model under the Sagarmala scheme of the Ministry of Ports, Shipping, and Waterways.
- The new jetty will enable movement of vessels to locations like BhauchaDhakka, Mandwa, Elephanta and Karanja.
13. Skye Air teams up with the Himachal govt for delivery of medicines and agri commodities via drones:
- Skye Air has teamed up with the information technology department of Himachal Pradesh for the delivery of medicines & agri commodities in the Himalayan state.
- By This MoU, Skye Air has initiated a 3-day-long BVLOS trial in the Chamba district to connect over 6 primary healthcare & community healthcare centres and the area hospitals via multiple flights.
- Skye Air is using its flagship drone Skye Ship One to facilitate real-time deliveries of vaccines & medicines within a specified temperature range of 2-8 degrees Celsius.
- The flights, equipped with consignments of medical supplies, flew beyond at an altitude of 400 feet above ground level in a designated Green Zone of the Chamba district.
- The flights took place at 3 air corridors Chaned, Tissa and Mehla demonstrating the diversity of Skye Ship One adopting different temperature zones, steep mountain ranges and air-pockets.
14. TERI’s World Sustainable Development Summit 2022 to begin on 16th Feb:
- The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) is organising the 21st edition of its annual flagship event, the World Sustainability Development Summit (WSDS) 2022.
- This will help for guiding activities such as the COP27 Compass and SDG Charter. The Summit intends to have key discussions on climate change, sustainable consumption and production, energy and resource security, resilience, and global commons.
- The Summit will also release Act4Earth Manifesto and Act4Earth Strategy papers in order to reinforce commitment at all levels to enhance ambition and action.
15. NCB organises “Darkathon-2022” to find solutions to counter drug trafficking:
- The Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) is organising a “Darkathon-2022” to find solutions to counter drug trafficking through
- NCB Director-General S.N. Pradhan inaugurated the event, is being held in 3 phases till April 22.
- The agency recently smashed 3 groups of drug peddlers that were operating on the network.
- The prize money for the first winner is ₹2.50 lakh, the runner-up would get ₹2 lakh & 3rd winner ₹1.50 lakh. The consolation prize for the 4th and 5th place is ₹25,000 each.
16. Delhi Police launches e-Newsletter:
- Delhi Police launched a monthly edition of its e-Newsletter: ‘Kissa Khaki Ka’.
- Delhi Police Commissioner Rakesh Asthana officially inaugurated the newsletter at an event held at the Police Headquarters on the occasion of 75th Raising Day.
- It is a compendium of all activities of Delhi Police through the month being projected on Social Media.
- ‘Kissa Khaki Ka’ is an extension of Delhi Police’s communication outreach.
- The e-Newsletter contains 16 pages, filled with a barrage of new initiatives, informing the citizens about its infrastructure, methods of
- It carries highlights of the month, Viz Delhi Police performed remarkably and secured the first position amongst all states in implementing CCTNS.
- Delhi Police launched the second edition of its community policing initiative- YUVA 2.0.
- The e-FIR portal to lodge theft and burglary complaints was also launched.
- The e-Newsletter further chronicles the various innovative measures by Delhi Police on social media like the podcast, also titled ‘Kissa Khaki Ka’, and Ask Me Anything session hosted on Twitter Live.
17. IFSCA signs MoU with IIMA to strengthen evidence based research:
- International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) & IIM Ahmedabad (IIMA) signed a MoU to strengthen active participation in conducting evidence-based policy research.
- “It will provide an ideal platform for a 2-way collaboration between IFSCA and IIMA, especially in the areas of policy research, economic impact analysis, strategy management and emerging areas such as FinTech, Climate Finance etc”.
- IFSCA, a statutory authority established under the IFSCA Act 2019, Gandhinagar is a unified regulator which has been established with a mandate to develop and regulate the financial products, financial services, and financial institutions in the International Financial Services Centres (IFSCs).
18. MEA to celebrate ‘AzadiKaAmritMahotsav’ Iconic Week from 21st to 27th Feb:
- External Affairs Ministry is celebrating its AzadiKaAmritMahotsav Iconic Week from the 21st to 27th of this month.
- It will include a series of commemorative events and activities in New Delhi & other cities across the country.
- Ministry’s Branch Secretariats, Indian Council for Cultural Relations and its regional offices, and regional passport offices would be organizing the events.
- Ministry spokesperson: ArindamBagchi
19. Government approves New India Literacy Programme for Financial Years 2022 to 2027:
- GoI approved a new scheme “New India Literacy Programme” for the period Financial Years 2022 to 2027 to cover all the aspects of Adult Education to align with National Education Policy 2020 (NEP) & Budget Announcements 2021-22.
- NEP has recommendations for Adult Education and Lifelong Learning.
- The Union Budget 2021-22, announcement had been made to enable increased access of resources, online modules covering the entire gamut of adult education will be introduced.
- It includes critical life skills including financial literacy, digital literacy, commercial skills, health care and awareness, child care and education, and family welfare, vocational skills development with a view towards obtaining local employment, basic education including preparatory, middle, and secondary stage equivalency and continuing education including engaging holistic adult education courses in arts, sciences, technology, culture, sports, and recreation, as well as other topics of interest or use to local learners, such as more advanced material on critical life skills.
- The scheme will be implemented through volunteerism through online mode. The training, orientation, workshops of volunteers, may be organized through face-to-face mode.
New India Literacy Programme:
- The target for Foundational Literacy and Numeracy for Financial Years 2022 to 2027 is five crore learners @ 1.00 crore per year by using Online Teaching, Learning and Assessment System OTLAS in collaboration with National Informatics Centre, NCERT and NIOS.
- The estimated total outlay is over 1037 crore rupees which includes Central share of 700 crore rupees and State share of over 337 crore.
- School will be Unit for implementation of the scheme.
- Foundational Literacy and Numeracy will be imparted through Critical Life Skills to all non-literates in the age group of 15 years and above.
- Performance Grading Index for State and UT and district level will be used to review the implementation & achievements on yearly basis by weighing both the physical and financial progress through the UDISE portal.
- CSR or Philanthropic Support may be received by hosting ICT support, providing volunteer support, opening facilitation centres for learners and for providing IT access to economically weak learners in the form of cell phones, etc.
Over All Review
Banking and Finance
Science and Technology