Daily Current Affairs August 17
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs August 17. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
August 17 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
SPORTS – Daily Current Affairs August 17
1. The 2021 ICC men’s T20 World Cup to be held in UAE and Oman will get underway from _____?
A) October 13
B) October 14
C) October 15
D) October 16
E) October 17
Answer: E) October 17
- The 2021 ICC men’s T20 World Cup, to be held in UAE and Oman, will get underway from October 17 and final to be played on November 14.
2. Jiban Ballav Samal to officiate as Umpire in the upcoming XXXII Paralympics 2020, TOKYO. He was related to which sports?
E) Table Tennis
Answer: E) Table Tennis
- Table Tennis Federation of India has selected Jiban Ballav Samal, a Blue Badge International Umpire of Table Tennis, to officiate as an Umpire in the upcoming XXXII Paralympics 2020, TOKYO.
- The Paralympic is scheduled to be held at Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium from August 24 to September 5, 2021.
OBITUARY – Daily Current Affairs August 17
3. Maki Kaji passed away. He was related to which country?
Answer: B) Japan
- Maki Kaji, a puzzle enthusiast and publisher who was known as the “Godfather of Sudoku” – the number puzzle played daily by millions around the world – has died, his company said.
- He was 69.
BANKING AND FINANCE – Daily Current Affairs August 17
4. Which organisation announced the launch of a new Cybersecurity Multi-Donor Trust Fund under the broader Digital Development Partnership (DDP) umbrella program?
E) World Bank
Answer: E) World Bank
- The World Bank announced the launch of a new Cybersecurity Multi-Donor Trust Fund under the broader Digital Development Partnership (DDP) umbrella program.
- Digital transformation is accelerating in many countries, offering new opportunities for economic growth and enabling low- and medium-income countries to leapfrog development through increased productivity and improved service delivery across key sectors, including finance, health, education, and agriculture.
5. Which Bank becomes first US bank to set up unit in IFSC at GIFT City?
B) Bank of China
C) DBS Bank
Answer: E) Citibank
- Citibank, which is headquartered in the USA and has a strong international presence, received a license from the IFSC Authority to set up its banking unit at India’s first International Financial Services Centre at GIFT City, Gujarat.
- With this, Citibank will become the first US-based bank to set up a branch in GIFT-IFSC. Citibank will be servicing both Indian as well as its global customer base from this IFSC branch.
- Recently, Deutsche Bank, which is one of the major global banks with presence in over 70 countries, became the first German bank to set up IBU (IFSC Banking Unit).
- Globally benchmarked and progressive regulations issued by IFSCA have been instrumental in driving both international as well as Indian banks to set up branches at IFSC.
- Leading Indian and foreign banks such as HSBC, Standard Chartered, Barclays Bank, State Bank of India, Bank of Baroda, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, HDFC Bank, etc are already operating their banking business from GIFT IFSC
6. Which organization has created a composite Financial Inclusion Index (FI-Index) to capture the extent of financial inclusion across the country?
Answer: C) RBI
- The Reserve Bank of India has created a composite Financial Inclusion Index (FI-Index) to capture the extent of financial inclusion across the country.
- The announcement regarding the creation of the Financial Inclusion Index was made in the first Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement for 2021-2022 on 17 April.
- The annual FI-Index for the period ending March 2021 is 53.9 against 43.4 for the period ending March 2017.
- The FI-Index will be published annually in July every year, the RBI said in a statement.
- The FI-Index has been conceptualised as a comprehensive index, incorporating details of banking, investments, insurance, postal as well as the pension sector, in consultation with government and respective sectoral regulators.
- It also captures information on the financial inclusion aspects in a single value ranging between 0-100, where 0 represents complete financial exclusion and 100 indicates full financial inclusion.
- The FI-Index comprises three broad parameters — Access (35%), Usage (45%), and Quality (20%), with each of these consisting of dimensions computed based on many indicators.
7. Which company has established a network of one lakh micro-ATMs (mATM) operating across rural India?
A) SBI Cards
C) Spice Money
Answer: C) Spice Money
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY – Daily Current Affairs August 17
8. Google and which company have joined hands to build a 12,000-kilometre-long subsea cable, aimed at expanding connectivity in the Asia-Pacific region?
Answer: E) Facebook
- Google and Facebook have joined hands to build a 12,000-kilometre long subsea cable, aimed at expanding connectivity in the Asia-Pacific region.
- The undersea cable will connect Japan, Taiwan, Guam, the Philippines, Indonesia and Singapore, and is expected to be completed in 2024, the companies announced in separate statements.
- The cable system is expected to have an initial design capacity of more than 190 terabits per second to meet rising data demands in the region.
- Subsea cables are laid on sea beds to carry telecommunication signals. They are made up of hundreds of fibres that transmit data between two locations.
APPOINTMENTS – Daily Current Affairs August 17
9. Who is appointed as Brand ambassador of Amway India?
B) Salman khan
C) Mahendra Singh Dhoni
D) Mirabai Chanu
E) Narain Karthikeyan
Answer: D) Mirabai Chanu
10. Sultan Mahmood was elected as the president of which country?
B) Pakistan-occupied Kashmir
Answer: B) Pakistan-occupied Kashmir
AWARDS – Daily Current Affairs August 17
11. Which foundation has instituted ‘Kalam Awards’ to recognise young volunteers, social communities and projects focussing on social development?
A) Kites Foundation
B) VIVO Foundation
C) Scale Foundation
D) Varuna Foundation
E) HCL Foundation
Answer: A) Kites Foundation
- Kites Foundation, a youth-led collective, has instituted ‘Kalam Awards’ to recognise young volunteers, social communities and projects focussing on social development.
- The awards will be given in three categories — Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Social Volunteer Award (for exceptional volunteer services), Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Community Excellence Award (for the best communities/NGOs) and Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Social Impact Award (for social ventures/projects of impact).
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY – Daily Current Affairs August 17
12. Which IIT will collaborate with the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) on Pavement Engineering and Intelligent Transportation Systems?
A) IIT Mumbai
B) IIT Mandi
C) IIT Kharagpur
D) IIT Delhi
E) IIT Madras
Answer: E) IIT Madras
- This includes research on novel pavement materials and technologies, hydrogen cell transportation, automatic vehicle classification, novel toll systems, incident management systems, traveller information systems, FastTAG data analytics and traffic simulations besides transportation safety.
- Towards this, a ‘MoRTH Chair’ is being created at IIT Madras, to focus on R and D, teaching and training in Traffic and Highway Engineering.
- The Chair Professor will act as a Strategic Advisor to MoRTH in Road Transport and Highways.
13. Which institution develops multiplex RT-PCR kit for Covid-19 detection?
A) IIT Mumbai
B) IIT Mandi
C) Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology
D) IIT Delhi
E) IIT Madras
Answer: C) Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology
INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 17
14. India introduces ‘e-Emergency X-Misc Visa’ in view of current situation in which country?
Answer: C) Afghanistan
- Taking cognizance of the current situation in Afghanistan, India has reviewed visa provisions and introduced a new category of electronic visa called “e-Emergency X-Misc Visa” with an aim to fast-track visa applications for entry into India.
- Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), the nodal ministry to handle visa-related issues, took the decision and made the announcement, two days after the Taliban’s stunning and rapid takeover of Afghanistan.
NATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 17
15. Which state inaugurated the state’s first waste-to-energy (WTE) project in Murthal, Sonepat?
B) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: D) Haryana
- Chief Minister of Haryana Manohar Lal Khattar inaugurated the state’s first waste-to-energy (WTE) project in Murthal, Sonepat, which is developed by JBM Group.
- The project is developed by JBM Environment Management at an estimated investment of close to Rs 200 crore that entails door-to-door collection of waste, transportation, construction, operation, and maintenance of the power plant.
16. The government approved the construction of how many houses in urban areas under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, taking the total number of houses sanctioned so far to over 1.13 crore?
Answer: D) 16,488
17. Which organisation inks agreement with Railway’s CRIS for Digital Integration to monitor rake movement?
E) Indian Oil
Answer: E) Indian Oil
- In line with the vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi for a Digital India, IndianOil has signed an Agreement with Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS), an arm of Ministry of Railways, for Digital Integration with end-to-end visibility of Petroleum products & LPG rakes.
- This initiative is a first of its kind in the Indian petroleum sector for Digitalization of Petroleum Products& LPG Supply Chain.
18. Which UT rolls out ‘Karkhandar’ scheme to revive traditional crafts in the UT?
C) Jammu & Kashmir
Answer: C) Jammu & Kashmir
19. The Civil Aviation Ministry gave conditional permission to how many organisations, including Mahindra and Mahindra, SAIL and Bayer Crop Science, to use drones for various purposes?
Answer: E) 10
- The Civil Aviation Ministry gave conditional permission to 10 organisations, including Mahindra and Mahindra, Steel Authority of India (SAIL) and Bayer Crop Science, to use drones for various purposes.
- Mahindra and Mahindra have got permission to conduct “drone-based agricultural trials” and use drones for precision spraying on paddy and hot pepper crop in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- Two organisations — Gujarat-based Blue Ray Aviation and Telangana-based Asia Pacific Flight Training Academy — have been permitted to conduct “remote pilot training using drones.
- Bayer Crop Science has got the permission to conduct “drone-based agricultural research activities” and use drones for agricultural spraying, it mentioned.
- The National Health Mission in Mumbai has also got the permission to conduct experimental BVLOS (beyond visual line-of-sight) drone flights to deliver essential healthcare items in tribal areas of Jawhar in Palghar district of Maharashtra.
- Gangtok Smart City Development has got the permission for drone-based aerial survey for its smart city project, the ministry’s statement mentioned.
- Chennai-based Tractors and Farm Equipment Limited has got the permission to conduct “drone-based aerial spraying” to assess crop health and prevent crop disease.
- The ministry said Pune-based Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology to conduct atmospheric research at five different locations in the country.
20. Which state has introduced an online facility to provide necessary clearances for three services required to start a venture?
C) Madhya Pradesh
D) West Bengal
Answer: D) West Bengal
- In an attempt to ease processes, especially for small businesses, the West Bengal government has introduced an online facility to provide necessary clearances for three services required to start a venture.
- The three services which will be going online through a “common cloud-based integrated portal” include a single-window sanction of building plans, issuance of trade licenses and grant of (property) mutation certificates.
21. The Centre will provide a financial package of how much amount to the Northeastern states to fight the COVID-19 pandemic?
A) Rs 1,400 crore
B) Rs 1,500 crore
C) Rs 1,600 crore
D) Rs 1,700 crore
E) Rs 1,300 crore
Answer: E) Rs 1,300 crore