Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
April 23 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. World Book and Copyright Day is observed on which date?
A) April 22
B) April 23
C) April 25
D) April 26
E) April 27
Answer: B) April 23
- World Book Day is celebrated by UNESCO on April 23, every year.
- Books are our best friends, guiders, and philosophers.
- April 23 is a symbolic date for world literature because on this date in 1616 that Cervantes, Shakespeare, and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega all died.
- Hence, the day was selected to pay tribute to the great literary figures.
World Book Day 2021: Theme:
- Each year, UNESCO and the international organizations representing the three major sectors of the book industry — publishers, booksellers, and libraries — select the World Book Capital for a one-year period, through its own initiatives, the impetus of the Day’s celebrations, effective April 23 each year.
- As per UNESCO, the city of Tbilisi in Georgia was selected as the World Book Capital for 2021.
World Book Day 2021: History:
- In 1995, UNESCO decided to celebrate April 23 as World Book Day or World Book and Copyright Day, and since then, the date has prominence in the history of literature.
- April 23 marks the death and birth anniversary of many other prominent authors, such as Maurice Druon, Haldor K.Laxness, Vladimir Nabokov, Josep Pla, and Manuel Mejía Vallejo.
- Therefore, it became obvious to UNESCO to choose April 23 to celebrate World Book Day worldwide.
United Nations English Language Day:
- April 23 marks the annual global observance of the United Nations English Language Day.
- The UN observance day, which is specifically set aside to inculcate respect, promote awareness, history, culture, and achievements associated with the language, was first celebrated in 2010.
- Various engaging, fun-filled activities like quizzes, recitation and book-reading are organized to celebrate the event.
International Girls in ICT Day:
- Every year on the fourth Thursday of April, International Girls in ICT Day is observed globally to inspire girls in technology and to promote opportunities for girls and women in this field.
2. Who became the first batsman to score 6,000 runs in the Indian Premier League (IPL)?
B) R Ashwin
C) M S Dhoni
D) Sachin Tendulkar
E) Virat Kholi
Answer: E) Virat Kholi
- Royal Challengers Bangalore captain Virat Kohli became the first batsman to score 6,000 runs in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- India skipper Kohli reached the milestone in 196 matches and leads the list ahead of Chennai’s Suresh Raina (5,448 runs), Delhi’s Shikhar Dhawan (5,428), Hyderabad’s David Warner (5,384) and Mumbai’s Rohit Sharma (5,368).
Virat Kohli – First batsman to score 6,000 IPL runs.
3. Shravan Rathod passed away. He was related to which field?
Answer: E) Musician
- Composer Shravan Rathod, of popular music director duo Nadeem-Shravan, passed away due to COVID-19 related complications.
- Nadeem-Shravan were among the most popular music composers in the 90s, giving chartbuster soundtracks in films like ‘Aashiqui’ (1990), ‘Saajan’ (1991), Shah Rukh Khan starrer ‘Pardes’ and ‘Raja Hindustani’, headlined by Aamir Khan.
- After their split in mid 2000s, the duo reunited to compose for David Dhawan’s ‘Do Knot Disturb’ in 2009.
‘Bandish Bandits’ actor Amit Mistry succumbs to cardiac arrest at 47:
- Popular Gujarati and Hindi film actor Amit Mistry, known for starring in films like “Shor In The City”, “Bey Yaar” and Amazon Prime Video series “Bandish Bandits”, died following cardiac arrest.
- His work in Hindi films like “Kya Kehna”, “Ek Chalis Ki Last Local” and especially his collaborations with filmmaker Raj-DK including “99”, “Shor In The City” and “A Gentleman” got him wider attention.
- Mistry also earned acclaim in last year’s hit series “Bandish Bandits” playing musician Devendra Rathod
Shravan Rathod – Music composer.
BANKING AND FINANCE
4. Which Bank has launched a video KYC-based account opening feature on its mobile banking app?
A) Bank of Baroda
B) Karnataka Bank
C) State Bank of India
D) IndusInd Bank
E) HDFC Bank
Answer: C) State Bank of India
- The State Bank of India (SBI), has announced that it has launched a video KYC-based account opening feature on its mobile banking app, YONO.
- This digital initiative powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Facial Recognition Technology is a contactless and paperless process, stated a press released issued by the bank.
- This functionality will help customers open an account with SBI without having to visit a bank branch, the bank stated.
State Bank of India:
Capital: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Head: Dinesh Kumar Khara
Tagline: With You all the way, Pure Banking Nothing Else, The Nation Bank on Us, The Banker to Every Indian, A Bank of the Common Man
SBI – Video KYC-based opening of savings accounts via YONO.
5. World bank to provide how much amount for jobs, COVID-19 pandemic recovery to Bangladesh?
A) USD 150 mn
B) USD 250 mn
C) USD 350 mn
D) USD 450 mn
E) USD 550 mn
Answer: B) USD 250 mn
- The government of Bangladesh signed an agreement for USD 250 million financing from the World Bank to help create more and better jobs, recover faster from the COVID-19 pandemic and build resilience to future crises.
- This was the third and the last in the series of credits totalling USD 750 million under the Programmatic Jobs Development policy focussing on creation of inclusive and quality jobs while supporting the government in responding to the COVID-19 crisis.
- It supports policies to modernize the trade and investment regime; improve social protection for workers; and help youth, women, and vulnerable people access quality jobs.
Members: 189 countries (IBRD), 173 countries (IDA)
Hq: Washington D.C, US
Head: David Malpass
World bank – Provide USD 250 mn for jobs, COVID-19 pandemic recovery to Bangladesh.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
6. Which company signs first ever power purchase pact with GUVNL for sale of 100 mw solar power?
Answer: C) CIL
- State-owned CIL said it has entered into its first ever power purchase pact with Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam Ltd (GUVNL) for sale of 100 mw solar power.
- The tenure of power purchase agreement (PPA) is 25 years.
- In March, CIL had won a 100-mw solar power project in a reverse auction conducted by GUVNL.
- For the 100-mw bid that it won, CIL was awarded the work with a stipulation that it enters a PPA for establishment of a solar power project and supplies the power generated to GUVNL within 18 months from the date of inking the PPA.
- CIL will execute the 100 mw project through a solar (engineering, procurement and construction) EPC contractor.
Coal India Limited:
CEO: Pramod Agrawal
CIL – Sign first ever power purchase pact with GUVNL for sale of 100 mw solar power.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
7. ‘Indian Culture, Art and Heritage’ is authored by whom?
A) Devdutt Pattanaik
B) Krishnan Pattanaik
C) Karthik Pattanaik
D) Sri Pattanaik
E) Dhanush Pattanaik
Answer: A) Devdutt Pattanaik
- Noted mythologist Devdutt Pattanaik’s new book for civil services aspirants shows how amalgamation of culture, art and heritage have created, built and resurrected Indian society from its inception.
- ‘Indian Culture, Art and Heritage’, available in both English and Hindi, is classified by themes, geography and history, and aims to help students understand the logic behind culture and what all it encompasses.
Publishing Pearson India:
- “Climate Change Explained – for one and all”, released on the occasion of Earth Day, is written by climate activist-author Aakash Ranison.
“Indian Culture, Art and Heritage” – Authored by Devdutt Pattanaik – Publishing Pearson India.
7. RBI approves Atanu Chakraborty appointment as part-time chairman of which bank?
A) Bank of Baroda
B) Karnataka Bank
C) Bandhan Bank
D) IndusInd Bank
E) HDFC Bank
Answer: E) HDFC Bank
- Private sector lender HDFC Bank said the Reserve Bank has approved appointment of former Economic Affairs Secretary Atanu Chakraborty as the part-time chairman of the bank.
Air Vice Marshal PS Karkare took over as Senior Officer in-charge of Administration of Headquarters Western Air Command:
- Air Vice Marshal PS Karkare took over as Senior Officer in-charge of Administration of Headquarters Western Air Command from Air Vice Marshal K Anantharaman Vishisht Seva Medal.
- Air Vice Marshal PS Karkare was commissioned in the Administration Branch on 19 December 1987.
- The Air Officer has served in a wide variety of Units, at Command Head Quarters & Air Head Quarters.
- He is a graduate of the Defence Services Staff College and the College of Defence Management (CDM) and has been a Directing Staff at CDM Hyderabad.
- AVM PS Karkare was the ‘Air Commodore Air Force Works’ at Air Headquarters (Vayu Bhavan) prior to the current appointment at Head Quarters Western Air Command.
Hq: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Tagline: We Understand Your World
CEO: Sashidhar Jagdishan
RBI – Atanu Chakraborty appointment as HDFC Bank part-time chairman.
8. “Nomadland” won Best Feature in the ____ Film Independent Spirit Awards?
Answer: D) 36th
- The 36th annual Film Independent Spirit Awards were voted on by members of Film Independent, a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the profile of independent cinema and diversity in the industry.
- Hosted by “Saturday Night Live” cast member Melissa Villaseñor, the fully immersive virtual ceremony featured presenters such as Adam Sandler, Renee Zellweger, Daveed Diggs, Julia Garner, Kathryn Hahn, Annie Murphy and Lulu Wang.
- All nominated films had budgets under $22.5 million.
|Best Director||Chloe Zhao, “Nomadland”|
|Best First Feature||“Sound of Metal”|
|Best Female Lead||Carey Mulligan, “Promising Young Woman”|
|Best Male Lead||Riz Ahmed, “The Sound of Metal”|
|Best Supporting Female||Yuh – jung Youn, “Minari”|
|Best Supporting Male||Paul Raci, “Sound of Metal”|
|Best Screenplay||“Promising Young Woman”|
|Best First Screenplay||Andy Siara, “Palm Springs”|
|Best Cinematography||Joshua James Richards, “Nomadland”|
|Robert Altman Award||“One Night in Miami”|
|Best Documentary||“Crip Camp”|
|Best International Film||“Quo Vadis, Aida?”|
|Piaget Producers Award||Gerry Kim|
|Someone to Watch Award||Ekwa Msangi, “Farewell Amor”|
|Truer Than Fiction Award||Elegance Bratton, “Pier Kids” John Cassavetes Awards “Residue”|
|Best New Non Scripted or Documentary Series||“Immigration Nation”|
|Best Scripted Series||“I May Destroy You”|
|Best Female Performance in a Scripted Series||Shira Haas, “Unorthodox”|
|Best Male Performance in a Scripted Series||Amit Rahav, “Unorthodox”|
|Best Ensemble Cast in a New Scripted Series||“I May Destroy You”|
|Ensemble Cast:||Michaela Coel, Paapa Essiedu, Weruche Opia – Stephen Wight|
“Nomadland”- Best Feature in the 36th Film Independent Spirit Awards.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
9. Which space agency launches third crew in under a year, fly on reused rocket?
Answer: E) SpaceX
- SpaceX launched four astronauts toward orbit Friday using a recycled rocket and capsule, the third crew flight in less than a year for Elon Musk’s rapidly expanding company.
- The astronauts from the US, Japan and France should reach the International Space Station early Saturday morning, following a 23-hour ride in the same Dragon capsule used by SpaceX’s debut crew last May.
- They’ll spend six months at the orbiting lab.
- It was the first time SpaceX reused a capsule and rocket to launch astronauts for NASA, after years of proving the capability on station supply runs.
- The rocket was used last November on the company’s second astronaut flight.
Headquarters: Hawthorne, California, United States of America
Founded: 6 May 2002
CEO: Elon Musk
SpaceX – Third crew in under a year, fly on reused rocket.
10. Which IIT has designed a hand-held explosive detection device that can detect explosives?
A) IIT Mandi
B) IIT Madras
C) IIT Bombay
D) IIT Kanpur
E) IIT Kharagpur
Answer: C) IIT Bombay
- Researchers at National Center of Excellence in Technology for Internal Security (NCETIS) of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay, have designed a hand-held explosive detection device that can detect explosives.
- BEAGLEZ is a light-weight hand-held device that can detect Trinitrotoluene (TNT), hexahydro-1,3,5-trinitro-1,3,5-triazine (RDX), Pentaerythritol tetranitrate (PETN), Semtex and other plastic explosives used in home-made, military explosives and improvised explosive device (IED).
- The device can find application in screening people, checkpoints, post-blast search, vehicles, buildings, terrorist hotspots, places of importance, crowded establishments and environment.
- BEAGLEZ was designed and commercialised by a team of researchers led by Anil Kumar, professor in the department of chemistry at IIT Bombay, in collaboration with Bigtec Labs, a Bengaluru-based science and technology company.
- The device has sensitivities that can be at par with canines.
IIT Bombay – Hand-held device that can detect explosives.
11. Atal Pension Yojana has added over 79 lakh subscribers during FY 2020-21. It is launched in which year?
Answer: E) 2015
- Atal Pension Yojana has added over 79 lakh subscribers during FY 2020-21.
- Atal Pension Yojana (APY) was launched in May 2015 and current number of subscribers stands at 3 crores.
- It took less than six months to enroll 50 lakh new APY subscribers to reach 3 crore enrollments from 2.5 crore enrolments.
- Out of total 79.14 lakh subscribers who joined APY in the FY 2020-21, State Bank of India sourced 22.07 lakh subscribers, i.e. 28% of total enrolments.
- It was followed by Canara Bank and Indian Bank, which sourced 5.89 lakh and 5.17 lakh subscribers respectively, during the same period.
- Further, Bank of Baroda, Airtel Payment Bank, Bank of India, Central Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, Union Bank of India, Indian Overseas Bank, Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, Aryavart Bank and Baroda UP Bank have sourced new APY accounts between 1 and 5 lakh, during FY 2020-21.
Atal Pension Yojana – Cross 3 crore subscribers during FY21.
12. Who chairs the “Reaching Zero” Forum on Malaria Elimination?
A) Rajnath Singh
B) Amit Shah
C) Nirmala Sitharaman
D) Ramnath Kovind
E) Dr. Harsh Vardhan
Answer: E) Dr. Harsh Vardhan
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare today chaired the “Reaching Zero” forum on malaria elimination to celebrate World Malaria Day, through a video conference.
- Every year, 25th April is observed as ‘World Malaria Day’.
- This year’s theme for the day is “Reaching the Zero Malaria target.’’
Ms. Vandana Gurnani Addl. Secretary & MD (NHM), Ms Rekha Shukla, Joint Secretary (VBDs),Dr Sunil Kumar, DGHS and other senior health officials also attended the event. Dr Roderic Ofrin, WHO Representative to India represented his organization.
Health and Family Welfare, Science and Technology; and Earth Sciences:
Minister: Dr Harsh Vardhan
Constituency: Chandni Chowk, Delhi
Union Health Minister – Chair the “Reaching Zero” Forum on Malaria Elimination.